21. The Starry Night.

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" I turned around to find who tapped on my shoulder from behind and it was Neeti. She had come here with Parineet and Vikram. She was dressed in a red sharara. Her features are as fine as her voice. She holds clarity, both in words and eyes.

"Hey Neeti. How are you? Is the baby fine?" I said smilingly, for maybe it was going to be our first proper interaction since we never really got the chance to speak to each other, despite of her being a visitor of my hospital for her pregnancy, ever since she has moved to Delhi.

"Yes. Pari has suggested me your hospital only. I and Vicky often come for the check up to the gynecologist of your hospital." She said pressing her lips in a thin smile. I have noticed and I adore the fact that Vikram takes extra care and puts efforts when it is about Neeti.

"Ms Swati is an amazing doctor. I hope you are not having any issues." I took the drink from the waiter's plate as I told her.

"Not at all." She paused and continued as I looked on. "Actually, I thought I should talk to you once. It's hustle and bustle in here, I wasn't able to meet you properly."

"Oh! Yes. I was busy, couldn't even come to your place. But I know a lot about you. Pari has always mentioned you. Actually, I don't feel like we are meeting for the first time." I winked looking at her. I hate my reflexes. It wasn't a flirty advance, but we aren't so comfortable that I should wink at her. No? It's not nice and gives away bad impression of me. I licked my lips in hesitation but all I heard was a small laugh. Neeti didn't mind. Thankfully. As I shyly looked at her, she winked back at me, and laughed again. I liked her attitude - confident and jolly. She isn't a mood spoiler. Now I understand why Pari says that I remind her of Neeti often .

"Haha is it? That's great then!" She added.

"Yes! She even used to say that me and you and I, are very similar by our personalities. Extroverts you know!" I sipped on my drink.

"Actually I also feel the same. Since the day I have come here, Pari has only talked about you, how you helped her, treated her illness on personal levels with Ayaan's aid, and how much you care for her." Her voice changed as she said it. Her concern for Parineet was clearly reflecting in her voice. She loves her a lot.

"It was our duty ma'am. But yes, being friends with her wasn't that tough. She is a super sweet girl, who would not like to stay near her?" I smiled genuinely. I, sometimes feel bad for Neeti, she doesn't know the truth and I know no matter how great their friendship is, she would be heartbroken after learning the truth.

"I agree. I wanted to thank you Taran." She said abruptly, taking me by surprise. What is there to thank me?

"Thank me?" I questioned.

"Yes! I want to thank you for everything you have done for Pari." Neeti began looking down and said as she continued "When I wasn't here, in her toughest times, when she isolated herself from all of us, she had you. She found you." I could see, she was feeling guilty for not being there with Parineet when it was the latter who chose to fight alone.
"And I want to thank you for staying, for being there, for not giving up on her. I feel so happy and grateful to God that he sent you as Pari's guardian who had such a big impact on her life. She has found home in you. She really admires you!" Her eyes were glistening with unshed tears and I sadly smiled.

"It is nothing-"

"You are everything to her Taran." She didn't let me complete but what she said, felt a lot more than what it sounded. I was stunned.