17. Asking and Masking!

Taran's POV

I can't believe this is happening to me. How can Parineet harbour this misunderstanding of I being married, all this while. Okay. It was fine of her to think it initially because I gave her the cue, but not for straight five months!! When she and I spent a great deal of time knowing each other, when she spent her precious time with me and not when she had so many people around her to confirm her doubts. It's fucking unreal and illogical.
I tried to laugh it off in the car but then, she literally character assassinated me. Thinking that I'm married, is also fine, if I give Parineet a benefit of doubt, but then her, having a such a low opinion about me, broke my heart. I never expected she would think like this, she compared me with Rajeev and..! Phew!
She actually thought that I'll betray my wife, and double cross her. It was so low. It was so heartbreaking.

After stepping inside the party venue, I separated my way from Parineet like I promised her in the car. I would not bother her.
To make myself feel better, I got busy looking around and observed that the decorations and cake was done right finally. Pions decor and red golden lighting around this avenue was making it look more and more stunning. The bar had the best drinks and snacks seemed delicious. I could have tasted one or two but I lost my appetite. I was sipping on my whiskey when my eyes eventually started looking out for her again. And I found her, looking so inactive and lost. She appeared to be sad and guilty, and surprisingly my heart melted, my anger faded away and an urge to hold her close, increased, on seeing her like that. She must be the only girl here, who was sad, recoiling and hugging herself out of loneliness, in contrast to her glittery attire and cheerful environment.

I would be lying if I say that I didn't lust over her when she appeared in front of me, wearing that dark blue sluttery, shimmering shirt dress. Her copper brown coloured bangle in one hand, watch in another, and dangles in ears, enhanced her look. When she placed herself beside me in the car, my breathe hitched on seeing her looking like a temptress. I had never seen her like that before, all thanks to Zainab for keeping the dress code western.
When I saw the dress' colour yesterday, while Parineet unpacked it, I chose my outfit accordingly. I wanted to colour co-ordinate with her. I was clad in a black shirt, black pants and designer navy blue coat, it's sleeves all rolled upto my elbows. We were twinning but little did I know that all my plans and setting would render meaningless tonight.
I averted my gaze from her as soon as she looked in my direction. She shouldn't know that I was looking out for her. Well, I felt bad on seeing her all alone, confused and lost. I wanted to go to her and say it's okay. But not today. I can't. Parineet had put some insane allegations over me and I still haven't recovered from the shock.

What would I say to mom today? She had told me to give it my all and propose Parineet to be in a relationship with me. Mom told me to propose her for marriage but I told her that we both would need more time and I want to take things slow with her. Mom agreed somehow but she is very adamant about us.

"Propose her my stupid son. Otherwise I gonna bind you with some another girl. Mind it I have a lot of good girls in my eyes and I can't see you single anymore. Take it as a warning Taran." I don't know if she was joking, but her expressions were uptight. She looked serious. Ofcourse she would be. Just like any other Indian mother, she thinks that she is ageing at the speed of a bullet train and wants to see her grandchildren playing in the house before she dies. I have told her a zillion times that she should refrain herself from using this D word but heck she obeys, when it is about emotional blackmailing me. She's such a drama queen. My dearest maate.

"Hey brother!" I was taken aback when Ayaan tapped me on my right shoulder from behind and put his hand on it, giving me a smile. I was already preoccupied so I returned a small smile.

"Congratulations Ayaan!" I said.

"Guess what! Mom and dad will be leaving soon, and then it will be only us. Young energetic blood in the party, all by ourselves. Party is on bro!" Ayaan said, trying to cheer me up.