20. Emptiness!

Parineet's POV

I reached the venue of the wedding in just twenty minutes, since it was close to my home. At the entrance I found Ayaan's mother smiling towards me. She must be greeting all the guests.

"Hello beta. I was waiting for you only." She embraced me in an affectionate motherly hug. Every person I met through Taran, is warm and welcoming, just like him. But her warmth wasn't able to pacify the uneasiness I was feeling. A fear had gripped my hand, again.

"Sorry aunty for being late." I broke the hug and tilted my head, asking for an apology. After being so involved in all the functions, marriage preparation and being a good friend of Ayaan, it was surely a big thing to come late on his wedding night. She patted my back and I smiled in return. Just then, I saw Taran coming near us. He was clad in a royal black sherwani paired with white choodhidaars, his hairs well parted, his face looking ever so handsome. His musk fragrance calmed down my senses as he came closer with a pair of keys in his hand.

"I am so sorry Parineet. I forgot to pick you up." He did put down the phone, which was before, being held to his left ear closely. I was taken aback by the fact that he remembered, when I should not be. Ofcourse he would remember because he himself offered to do so. Neeti scared me for no reason. I'll tell her that he was coming to pick me up, or atleast remembered the same.

"I was calling you to inform that you need to come by yourself." He shrugged, signalling to the mobile phone in his hand, and I happily nodded.
"It's alright. I understand." I said, clearing my throat which was earlier, choking at the prospect of being turned down.
"I was actually a bit busy..."

"We all know how much busy you are. Important stuff I see." Ayaan's mom said cutting him off, and he smiled towards her, his shoulders dropped though. And I was standing there, all clueless. What was I missing?

"What is it about?" I asked having a blank and excited facial expression, both at the same time. I have never been a person who likes to know anything which is not my business but I belong to Taran and his every concern belongs to me, hence I ended up asking the matter. And to be honest, my heart was still bothered.
Though Taran looked unhappy as I asked aunty about him. It appeared as if he didn't want me to know, or to admit it. He looked conflicted, tired yet there was a plausible smile on his face plastered since forever.
Ayaan's mom took no time in announcing the secret, she had been knowing. She held my hand excitedly and said "Taran is finally in love. He has begun dating his friend." She turned to him and kissed his forehead "I am so happy for you. Ayaan is already hitched, and soon, you gonna get settled. Alhamdulillah." Taran smiled and I didn't know how to react. My world came to a standstill, my hopes and dreams seemed shattered already, until I saw him staring at me. Taran looked at me, as he hugged aunty. I tried to read his eyes for a second, but the tears in mine were evident so I looked away. I can't tell him that I love him now. I don't want to ruin things with him and more than that I want to know if he's happy or not.

"Acha beta! Andar chalo. Zainab is also waiting for you." Ayaan's mom broke the hug and said to me, to which I nodded. I moved past Taran and I got brushed against his arm, he again looked at me and this time I chose to congratulate him for his love life, he always wanted.

"Congratulations Taran!" I saw his small pink lips parted, eager to say something, probably a thank you? But he didn't utter a word, not even an alphabet. Rather walked beside me up to the main wedding hall. As we walked further, a cheerful, vibrant view came in front of my eyes. Everyone was so happy, wearing richly beautiful nawabi dresses. Women in shararas, lehengas and men dressed in pathanis, sherwanis alike royal attires. The entire venue looked decked up like a bride, with variety of flowers and lights. Aroma of deliciously cooked dishes could be sensed from afar. However, Taran seemed alien to all this happiness and festivity. He was visibly uncomfortable.