CH 23 || Girl's Night

Start from the beginning

She coughed and proclaimed in a poetic voice, "A wise man once said; Beer is made by men. Wine is made by God. It's a true benefit for the soul. It's made to be tasted, not to be drunken in excess."

"Um...sure."

She plunged into the different types of wines, her favorites—Primitivo—and what food to eat. Her knowledge was so detailed my fingers itched to try for myself. I hadn't had a flare for weeks. It was just one night. One night I wanted to feel normal and enjoy a good drink with my friend.

"If I'd wanna try, which one should I start with?" I asked slowly.

Her eyes lit up. "This one. We can order more if you want. I mean we don't have to finish all of them."

I took a sip from the dark red liquid and scrunched up my face. "That's so dry."

"Oh yeah, you're a beginner, I should have kept that in mind. Try this one instead." She pushed another cup towards me, the color slightly more transparent than the previous one.

My taste buds exploded when a rich flavor of something berry and alcoholic tinged with sweetness. Warmth spread through my body. "This one is pretty good."

"Right? I know exactly what else you can try—" Her phone lit up with a call from Nick. She gave me a worried glance. "Is it okay if I take this?"

I waved her off. "Take your time."

She slid out of the booth and I was left alone with the collection of wine glasses. Now I looked like an alcoholic.

Behind the window, snowflakes drifted through the night. This promised great conditions for tomorrow. I rested my back against the cushioned wall and took another sip. Did Killian notice that we left? We had a key so it should be fine.

Wait...

I buried my head inside my palms. Why was I thinking about the guys again? Especially Killian? Damn it. I had been around him too much lately.

I had to admit, he wasn't as bad as I'd initially thought. But still. After the holidays, I should keep my distance.

An unfamiliar voice caught my attention. "Killian—"

Now I started hearing things. My eyes narrowed on the half-empty glass of wine in front of me. I had really become a lightweight.

"...and then Killian..." the same voice continued.

What?

The conversation grew louder and I turned around to see the big burly guy I'd seen at the house earlier. To my surprise, he stood next to a strangely familiar guy with short brown hair and a round face. Mick. Seeing one of Chris' acquaintances out here was odd.

"You two never really got along, right, Derrick?" Mick asked.

Burly Guy frowned. "Yeah. I don't like his attitude. He's always all high and mighty."

Did I...miss something? Was this the same guy who'd wanted to be invited for New Year's?

"I know, man," Mick said. "But, he got what he deserved on Halloween."

Frowning, I shifted in my seat. It reminded me of all times I'd endured Chris' friends. God, I hated people like that.

Derrick bit out a cold laugh. "Really? What happened?"

"Let's just say he pissed off the wrong people this time." Mick snickered. "He wasn't so confident anymore after we were done with him."

"Finally. I could take him on myself, but Cody is always around. They would just gang up on me. In a fair fight, he wouldn't stand a chance."