Chapter One

I quietly observed everyone in that library. Glancing slightly from the same page of my book to the area around me. The sun just rose to its afternoon point allowing it's brightest rays to enter through the window, highlighting every detail of the room. I sat alone, of course. It is the usual. No one talks to me, no one looks at me. They just talk about me and laugh behind my back. Don't get me started on all the nasty nicknames or rumours. I try to push it all out because the thought just makes me want to cry.

I was and always will be the silent type of girl, an outsider. I don't try to make a good impression on people because they already think otherwise. At times I do tend to give off the homeless vibe with the ugly clothing I wear but hey clothes are clothes. My name is Ugly. Ha ha no it isn't, but that's what everyone calls me. Sometimes I forget what my real name is since people try their hardest to stick the word into my brain and keep it there.

The name is Gwen Davis. The daughter of Mark and Diane Davis, one of the richest couples in Los Angeles. Daddy owns a bunch of casinos and mommy is a lawyer.. what a great mix. And where am I? They shipped me to Canada. For a 'better education' and to get closer with my grandparents and the list goes on with the rest of the stupidest excuses in the book. They wanted to get rid of me because of their reputation, wouldn't want it to get ruined.

Okay let's start from the beginning. My parents were probably the happiest couple ever. Like every new wedded couple they're excited to have a child. Funny thing is they weren't happy to have me. My parents expected another child 2 years before I came but my mom had a miscarriage. You think they'd be happy when I came because they'd actually get a child. But in their eyes I could see that to them it wasn't what they expected, it wouldn't be the same fate they pictured the first child would've had. So by 5 years old they stopped putting in effort and continued hiring countless nannies. As an undeveloped child I became-- erm... awkward.

My therapist said it was because I didn't experience the proper love from my parents. Yeah, my parents actually made me go to a therapist because they thought it wasn't normal for me to have no friends. Middle school was a bust so when I was going to go into grade 7 they thought new surroundings and people would help me 'open up'. And that's when the whole grandparents and Canada thing came up. Plus they wouldn't want word getting out that their daughter was an unfixable freak, they gave up on me so easily. In my opinion it's such a stupid reason to ship their child off because they're different. So now I'm in grade 11, in Canada, still with no friends and still 'awkward'.

I started to stop caring about what happened to me when my parents stopped caring, well basically when the whole universe stopped caring about me. My grandparents are basically the only nice people I know.

You could say I'm a mean person but I just say I'm defensive. You can't expect someone to just do nothing when they're constantly tormented by the snobby 'upper class' stupids.

Why am I in a library? Well I'm a writer. Reading is my passion so libraries and bookstores are my relaxing places. Since everyone in my school is always cooped up in their houses on social networks creating drama, it's super rare to see one of them actually outside of their house. And no, I'm not a stalker. By 'observe' I guess I just listen and understand. It's my way of talking to people without actually talking to them.