𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. the bonfire

Start from the beginning

"Kinda a long story," Red replied, unlocking her locker and zipping her backpack down.

Max rolled his eyes. "That's what you always say! Red, I'm still needing that explanation. I'm starting to think you're a felon!"

"Max, I'm not a felon." Red scoffed playfully. "But I can't tell you how much you helped me and my friends. I appreciate it."

Max sighed in defeat. "I'm glad I could help... I guess. But please, where'd my best friend go?"

"She's still right here."

"Not really." Max shook his head. "I mean... she's standing here but she's not really here."

"Look, I'm sorry, Max. I really am. But there's so much going on. I think it's your turn to be my best friend." Red sighed. "I'm really sorry."

Their conversation was cut short when the bell rang. It was always the first three periods that time would fly like it didn't really exist at all. But soon, Red would be entering her third period.

Red took her seat behind where John B had just been sat, tapping on his shoulder rapidly. "Hey!"

"Hey!" John B replied, matching her tone. "How's your first hangover, Shoupe?"

"Nothing a little ibuprofen can't fix." Red smiled, leaning back into her seat as the teacher approached.

"Glad you could join us, Mr. Routledge." Mrs. Dodge approached, handing him the test.

"It's good to be back!"

"Just in time for your first quiz."

John B's eyes widened as he pointed at Pope. "A test?!"

"I told you we had a test!"

"No, you didn't-"

"Yes, I did it was the first thing I said-"

Their petty argument was cut short when the teacher cleared her throat, signaling them to be quiet.

"Psst... John B." A girl's voice came from beside John B, passing him a note.

Red immediately sprung between the two, shooting the girl a dirty look. "They're not divorced, Josie! It's just a trial separation. Don't think I don't know what that note says, okay? Nobody. Nobody's gotten more notes than Red Shoupe!"

"Thanks for not getting in the middle of this." John B groaned.

"She was just asking him to the bonfire!" Peeler defended, the situation becoming louder and louder as each person spoke.

"Oh, I know what she was asking for. And if she asks again, I'll stab a pencil through her heart. You hear me, Josie?" Asked Red, standing up to point at her.

"Josie!" John B stood up after her, stopping her. "The answer is yes."

"W-What are you doing?"

"Red, John, sit down." The teacher ordered, both the teens exchanging looks before taking their seats again.

Just as soon as the bell rang, Red found Kie over by her locker. "Can we please talk about this John B dating other people when he's still not over Sarah aka his wife?"

"Shut up!" Kie asked in disbelief, closing her locker and walking with Red down the hallway. "Spill."

"So I was in my third period, right? And Josie freaking Walker passed him a note, so as any good friend would, I told her he wasn't interested, and then he told her he was."

"Red, maybe you should let him decide when he's ready." Kie chuckled.

"You know what I don't care. I don't care if he's ready because I'm not ready."