"Clearly, not unfamiliar with war for them to go so well-armed."

"Those blades on their spears look keen indeed." Benjamin agreed with a small smile. "I would not want to feel one of them in my flesh!"

"Aye, in our myths, the Sea-Folk are skilled warriors in battle, as well as stealthy hunters in the depths they call home." Mahrmia nodded. Then, leanind on the railing, she pondered the wonder before her.

"So, they are real. They exist as more than myth and legend. But, why make themselves known now? Why reveal themselves to us?"

"That is an excellent question, Captain," Jaryd nodded, leaning on his staff as he stroked his chin in contemplation, his gray eyes alight with curiosity and contemplation as he spoke.. "That is a very good question indeed."

A sudden, musical, sound drew them all from their wonder, yet added another wonder to the experience they were all having.

One of the Sea folk, a female judging by her form, with golden head fronds, was pausing in the water and waving a webbed, slender fingered hand at them. When she saw she had their attention, she made a stopping motion with her hands, fingers together as she thrust them out before her firmly.

"She wants us to stop." Beag said softly, eyes on the amazing being before her.

"Aye, she does. But to what purpose?" Mahrmia, ever the careful captain, watched the female swim along side the Leal, then surface again to make the stopping gesture with her hands. Turning her head to look up at the Crow's Nest, she called out, "Pamje, how many of these sea folk do you count?"

"No more'n a dozen, Captain! Master Galen and I been looking about, an' we've not seen any others!"

"But, if there are more deeper under the surface, we would not be able to see them." The captain of the Leal mused, pondering her best next course of action.

"Your caution is well warranted," Benjamin rumbled, his eyes on the swimming forms before them as he spoke. "Howevr, by your own admission, they have been believed to be myth and fantasy for many long years. As such, if they intended us harm, why come with such a small group? They could have easily overwhelmed us with subtlety and greater numbers, before we even knew what had occured."

"Aye, the big one speaks true, Captain." Beag nodded, powerful arms crossed over her chest as she spoke. "They've no need to be letting us know that they are here. Had they wanted, they could've taken us easily."

"Captain, if I may, I suggest you proceed with hope, a cautious hope, but hope nonetheless." Jaryd's voice was quet, but sure as he spoke. "We have been seeking a means of aid in our endeavors. It may be that this is the Maker's response to our need."

Mahrmia nodded, "Aye, Master Manorborn, your thoughts are akin to my own. If they be willing to be our allies, they could accomplish much that we could not."

A moment's pause, then the command rolled from her lips.

"Reef sails! Drop anchor! Let's see what these sea folk want with us!"

In short order, the sails were down and furled, and the mighty anchor had dropped and was currently caught against the side of a sea mougnt a good hundred feet or more below the hull of the ship. It took a moment or two for the ship to be still but, soon, still it was.

"Now then, how do we communicate with them?"

Mahrmia mused with a small smile on her face. Her eagerness and excitement about what was happening was palpable to all who stood around her, and shared by most of the crew as well. In truth, not a crew person, male or female, was doing what they should. All were gathered at the railing to gaze down at fantasy made real before their eyes. Had a Blood Sail appeared on the horizon to attack, they would have been in dire straits, for none, not even the watchful Pamje, had their attention anywhere but on the twelve beings looking up at them from the waters below.