Episode 1 - Bitter Dianthus Part 1, Denial

An ornate patch of grass decorated the perimeter of the shrine and stood proudly in the center of the temple garden. There, columns of stone were chiseled away, both by tribute and prayer, in an attempt to gain just a grain of wisdom or luck. At the foot of the stairs leading up to the altar lay two clay pots, wispy plants protruding from the damp soil within them, their leaves welcoming the radiant sunlight.

Beyond the steps leading to the shrine was a rectangular pond made of marble, its sleek exterior coated in beads of water from the foliage above. Overhead lingered a canopy of greenery, sectioned pools of light breaking through what cracks it could find to shine on the concrete below.

Lamine slipped his fingers into the pond and lowered his eyelids as his lips curved upward into a crooked yet warm smile. His walnut-colored skin glistened in the light as he examined the waters before him. A quick tap of his fingers against the surface caused the fish to scramble in disarray before taking refuge on the other side of the pond.

"Interesting," he mumbled, lazily brushing a tuft of hair from his face and tucking it behind his ear.

The crown of larkspur that decorated his coffee-colored hair remained untouched compared to the rest of him, their bulbous petals intertwined at the stems, plumes of mauve sitting daintily around his head.

Easing himself onto the pavement with a sigh, he shifted as his knees pressed into the balmy concrete and rested his chin against the fold of his arm.

He spent most of his afternoons in seclusion by the ponds and shrines, an hour of peace and collection of thoughts newly embedded in his list of daily rituals. His gentle lavender eyes watched with admiration as the fish swam harmoniously around one another.

Lamine loved their freedom and carefree nature— they lacked worry and responsibility. They were free, to say the least— but simultaneously, they were trapped in a pond with little knowledge of what waters lay outside their containment; with this, he felt pity for them.

Was this their fate?

He found the word lingering around corners and peeking at him as the days passed. The four-letter word that people used almost as much as they ate... He despised it.

"Thinking of something?"

A dainty yet masculine voice chimed from across the statue, relieving Lamine of the wrinkles in his forehead.

Compared to his frame, the male before him was much thinner, his rounded shoulders cloaked by the plethora of herbs in his arms.

"I usually come here for a moment before heading to my next stop; I didn't realize you'd be here," he added.

As he pushed himself to stand, the brunette pressed his lips together and brushed bits of dirt from his knees before clearing his throat.

"I just started recently visiting," he breathed. "He won't be joining us anytime soon... Right?"

As Lamine found his seat against the pond, the silver-haired male dropped the basket and pulled back his shirt sleeve to reveal a small silver clock.

"If I visit the next couple of shops with haste, I should be fine. He only checks up on me when I'm late. Of course, it's only natural he cares about his favorite butler~!"

While he gestured to himself with pride, a light twinkled in his eyes as he spoke about his master; even though rumors ruined the image of his keeper, anyone could see how much Nasos loved him.

As he slid beside Lamine and dipped his fingers into the water, he rolled his head to the side and gave him a smug grin.

"So~." He wiggled his eyebrows playfully and moved his fingers with the fish as they brushed against him. "What's on your mind?"

Lamine paused, turning his head to face the entrance of the shrine. "Nothing really..," he said softly. "Just a little tired is all, N."

A doubtful chuckle left the male's lips as he swung one leg over the other and smirked, his eyes remaining on the water. "You're a terrible liar, Lamine."

The wrenching wave of guilt that crashed against his stomach halted his ability to make words as Nasos sat beside him. It wasn't every day that someone asked him how he'd been, but with N beside him, Lamine felt even more compelled to upchuck all his emotional baggage.

Nasos arched a brow at the subtle movement and chuckled. "Not talking, huh? That's worrisome."

There was another break in concentration as Nasos made his statement.

"I just..." He gripped the fabric of his pants and dipped his head so his chin met his chest.

The words ached— burned even— in his throat as he tried to muster up the courage to speak.

"It's Fate," he whispered, balling his hands up in fists. "It's always Fate."

"Fate..?" Nasos scrunched his nose before brushing a few more strands of hair back in place. "Isn't that too bold a claim?"

"I-"

Plucking his hands from the water and flicking away the wetness, N pursed his lips and pushed himself to stand with a sigh. "If you're going on about 'Love,' you should be more open. You never know what might come your way."

*
*
*

The partial slump in Lamine's shoulders made Nasos' lips curve into a half-smile as he came upon his next suggestion.

The sun was settled just underneath the treetops, vibrant beams of honey-colored light pouring through lower-lying branches.

"How about my Master, Kallum," he proposed. "He's a king. Good-looking. Almost as good-looking as yours truly. You were promised to him once upon a time."

"No," Lamine snapped. "He's an asshole, and he probably hates me."

With his fingers still tightly placed in his lap, he trailed his eyes along the path leading up to the shrine and blushed. Out of everyone N had lipped off, Kallum was the only solid rejection he had given.

There was plenty to say about him, but his hateful and stubborn attitude was just the tip of the iceberg. He was irrational, insulting, and crass— all of these traits, mixed with his judgemental nature, had made for the most unsavory lover.

"Everyone advises against dating him." He mumbled the words cautiously for effect but felt a chill run down his spine. Scoring a man of Kallum's position could have its perks, even if the long-term contract seemed uncanny.

"Everyone says that about Vaughn, and you dated him."

"It's not the same."

"You would put Master in the same boat as him?"

Lamine grew silent, tensing his jaw.

On occasion, he'd noticed there, in fact, was a heart inside of the god. He was punctual and spoke passionately to those close to him, but his fierce temper still popped up fast enough to ruin the subtle change of pace.

"He's not so bad," N winked. "Maybe you could warm him up again?"

As he parted his lips in protest, Nasos grinned and slapped Lamine's shoulder.

"Who knows, he might even make you happy if you let him."