𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. riding high

Start from the beginning

Music softly played in the truck as Red entered the back, laying her head back on the side of it.

Bennie was curled up in a ball, already fast asleep beside Kie, and JJ was nearest to the truck itself.

"Goodnight everyone," Pope muttered in a sleepy tone.

Red scooted down, using her backpack as a pillow to rest her head on as she lay just inches away from JJ's warm touch.

Kie leaned over, kissing Pope on the cheek, then laying back down. "Goodnight."

JJ put his hat further over his eyes, redirecting his body to face Red.

"Dream of me." Red smiled, responding to Pope as she closed her eyes, breathing in the warm summer air.

JJ glared at the blonde, looking her over and reminiscing about how easy it would have been to cuddle her if he hadn't screwed up weeks earlier. But he did, so he couldn't.

Red's mind resembled similar thoughts. She wanted his touch, but she didn't know if he wanted to. He seemed pretty comfortable by himself.

Red exhaled sharply, taking the thought seriously. Was an ounce of sleep worth possible embarrassment? Probably not.

But a not-so-wise person once told Red that, 'stupid things have good outcomes all the time' so maybe a stupid thing could help her outcome.

Red moved her hand along the floor of the truck, finding its way over to JJ's. Red grazed her thumb over his bigger hand. JJ almost immediately grabbed a hold of her hands, squeezing them tightly as he wrapped his arm underneath her neck, pulling her closer.

"Sleep well, cupcake." He whispered, closing his eyes and falling into a comfortable sleep.

Red woke up abruptly in the middle of the night to the sound of a familiar voice that she hadn't heard in what felt like ages when in reality it had been only a few long weeks.

Bennie sat up, her phone pressed to her ear, getting Red's attention.

"Hey Jet. Just wanted to let you know that we'll be there in like... 10 minutes. Make sure to wear something dark like a beanie or something. See ya in a minute." John B's voice rang through the phone. It was a voicemail he left for Bennie, and probably the only thing that Bennie had left of her brother. It broke Red's heart.

Bennie pressed pause on the voicemail, realizing Red looking at her. She quickly wiped tears off of her face and set the phone down.

Red scooted closer to the girl, sitting beside her. "Hey, what's up?"

Bennie looked up at Red with her hazel eyes, now glassy. "Nightmare."

"You okay?" Red asked, Bennie, laying her head on her shoulder.

"I'm fine. Just... go back to sleep. I don't want to wake anyone up."

Red nodded, scooting back over to JJ and laying her head on his chest as he melted back into her.

Red woke up the next morning to Pope already starting the car. Red sat up and away from JJ.

"Morning, sleepyhead." Kie greeted from outside the truck. "Get in, we're hitting the road."

"How'd you sleep?" Bennie wiggled her eyebrows at the pair, still somewhat cuddled together on top of blankets.

"Zip it." JJ retorted, stretching his arms out.

"Not a word." Bennie held her hands up in defense, hopping into the car, which JJ and Red would soon do. "How long is the drive?"

"2 hours," Pope responded, turning the key to the car and putting it out of the park. "Sit tight."