Command

Aaron, Jace, and Sapphire had just reached the platform when the thunderous crash of cannon fodder hitting the first wall quaked the ground beneath their feet. Drifting through the air Aaron could hear the high whistle of projectiles launching through the air, wood shattering, the screams of the doomed and drowning. Aaron shuddered. The sounds were close, but disturbingly removed. I should be out there, I should be fighting—

Mason set a massive hand on Aaron's shoulder and the jitters slowed. Aaron nodded awkwardly at the bruiser, the best thanks he could muster. Jace had expected more resistance once they'd found Mason in the tunnels and explained their plan – he'd always been a steady presence, a believer in methodical progress over extreme gambits.

But in the end, Mason had only nodded. "I trust you," he told Jace.

Now, he nodded again, and pushed Aaron slightly forward. "Climb on in."

Against the inside of the third great wall sat a massive cage, with a thick wooden platform as a base and curved metal bars. Looped around these bars were ropes, stretching up all the way to the top of the wall and back down again, swaying in the breeze.

The lift. It was the fastest way to the top of the wall. Aaron had managed to avoid riding it even once when he was stationed in Aster, preferring to dizzy himself on the endless inner stairs and let the others brag about their horror stories.

"Stand clear of the edge," Mason warned Aaron with a wink as they herded aboard. "It can get a bit slippery."

Aaron thought vaguely of hitting his kyrmate over the head with a shovel.

Mason grabbed the ropes, making to hand one to Jace when Sapphire intercepted it. The bruiser's eyebrows leapt up. Sapphire didn't even come up to Mason's shoulder. He eyed her appraisingly and she stared back, a challenge.

Then Mason shrugged and braced himself. "Heave!"

He and Sapphire yanked on their ropes vigorously. The lift jolted upwards. It wobbled in the air. "Heave!"

They rose jerkily, in stops and bursts. Aaron willed his feet to stay planted and stared at the sky, breathing slow and even. He wasn't afraid of heights, but he was afraid of falling, and the unsteady rocking of the lift as the ground slipped farther and farther away from them made him sweat.

Shouts from above. They were approaching the top of the third wall. More soldiers peered down at them, faces round and inquisitive.

At the top, Mason tied the ropes to their anchors. The lift gate was opened, and they stepped out onto the wide expanse of the third wall.

"Soldier," barked Commander Vance. He was standing beside King Edmund, two watchdogs arrayed behind them. His eyes were on the battle spread out below. "Back to your station."

"I have messengers for the king," said Mason.

At that, Vance turned. His cold eyes widened. "Brasher. Talus. Extra. What are you doing here?"

Aaron felt Sapphire bristle, but Jace was already stepping forward. "We have urgent news for you and his majesty. There's a ship—"

"Hang the ship," Vance spat. "Where is her highness?"

Now they had King Edmund's attention. His green eyes narrowed. "I know you. You were entrusted with Raelyn's safety."

"The princess is safe," Jace said hurriedly. "But her enemies are on their way. Your majesty, we have discovered a treacherous plot against the crown."

For just a moment, the king's eyes flicked to Vance. "What plot is this?"

"The fatemongers have returned, your majesty. Since the Division they have hidden, and now they prepare to strike Zareyma. Your vassal Lord Malcolm has cut a deal with them. He means to betray you and seize the throne."