Diplomacy

Katrina twisted her blade, forcing Aaron to raise his chin. "You folks got a death wish?"

"Drop the sword, Kat." Raelyn was at the back of their knot of outsiders, forced back against the railing by Katrina's naked steel. The crew of the Drake arrayed behind their captain. Aaron searched the crowd of sailors for a friendly face, but not even Neal would meet his gaze.

"Captain Hawkins," Katrina corrected acidly. "And I'll do whatever I damn well please."

"We're not here to fight," said Jace.

Katrina cast a skeptical eye over his battered flesh. "You don't say. Might want to sit down, Red, looks like one good breeze might knock you flat."

Raelyn stepped forward. "Kat—"

"Don't call me that." Katrina whirled on the princess as Sapphire yanked Raelyn back. They closed ranks, Aaron, Sapphire, Jace, and Delia, the lines of their backs forming a shield between the pirate and the princess.

"The fucking audacity," Katrina spat. "Calling us for help. Looking to us for rescue. When Neal said you'd sent him a message, I almost didn't believe him. After what you did to this ship? I had to see it for myself."

"You know that wasn't us," said Raelyn. "Our enemies are the same. The Bloodhound is working with fatemongers to—"

"I don't give a damn about your enemies or your plight or your plots. This ship has paid enough for your royal fuckery. Those cutthroats came looking for you." Something ugly spasmed at her mouth. "And now Matty is dead."

For a moment, Raelyn wavered. "I'm so sorry. We hoped—"

"That he'd survive a blade through the gut? Hate to break it to you sweetling, but the rest of us don't get miraculous rescues. Didn't you ever think about what happened to the folks you left behind? To the big, stupidly loyal oaf who took it into his head to try and save you?"

Tears stung Katrina's eyes, but they glittered like weapons instead of weakness. "Hang your sorry. Sorry won't change anything. Fact is you put every one of us in danger the minute you set foot on this ship, with your precious crown and your endless secrets. I should throw you right back off of it."

The crew of the Drake stepped reluctantly closer, hands going to their weapons. Aaron's stomach dropped. In the rigging he could spot Cally's tiny figure, staring down at the scene below.

"Was it my crown that put him in danger," Raelyn said softly, "or your dealing?"

Katrina flinched. "Fuck you."

"You're a freelancer trading in obsidian. Your buyers were trafficking people. Captain Niko was looking for me, but he already had you cornered. You really think he wouldn't have turned on you one day, even if we'd never boarded your ship?"

"I don't have time to play make-believe."

"We called you, Kat. We begged for help, and you came. Why save us from a watery grave just to throw us back in?"

"Maybe I wanted to do it myself."

"And waste precious days of fair weather before the winter storms?" Raelyn raised an eyebrow. "That's bad business. I thought you were a business woman."

Katrina's glare smoldered. "Revenge is its own business."

"And you won't find it here. We didn't kill Matty." Katrina turned away abruptly, but Raelyn pressed on. "The bastards that did it nearly killed us too. We're not the ones you want."

For a long moment, Aaron could hear nothing but the waves and the snap of the sails.

"No," Katrina said eventually. "You're not." She drew up her shoulders and met Raelyn's gaze squarely. "But you're the ones I've got, so you'll have to do."

Raelyn smiled like a cat who'd finally cornered its mouse. "Death over dealing? You surprise me, captain."

Katrina's laugh was like broken glass. "Half your team can barely stand, I'm thirsty for blood, and you want to deal? What could you possibly have to offer me?"

"The blood you really want."

The blue-gold eyes narrowed. "Go on."

"You want the Bloodhound," Raelyn said. "You want Niko. With winter setting in, you can't afford to chase him across the high seas. But we know where he's going next. Take us there and we can not only pay our fare in gold, but in vengeance."

"What's the catch?"

Raelyn drew a deep breath. "You'd be sailing into a war zone, taking on two dueling navies, a royal traitor, and an army of Ravens and fatemongers."

Katrina cracked a wry grin. "Why Robin, you spoil me."

"You can call me Raelyn," said the princess. "I'm not hiding anymore."

"Robin suits you. What say you, Neal?"

Neal shrugged. "With all due respect, captain, I'd much rather hunt for fatemongers than drown our paying customers." He winked at Delia. "Especially ones as cute as these."

Katrina backhanded him absentmindedly. "Fellas, what say you?" she called to the crew. "Are we afraid of a few shadows? Or do we gut the bastards who took our family from us?"

Roars of approval echoed across the decks as sailors stomped their feet and raised their weapons high.

Katrina Hawkins reached out and slapped her palm against Raelyn's, pulling her close. "Looks like you've got yourself a deal, sweetling."