Night of Volos

Aaron didn't have much in the way of a change of clothes, and certainly nothing halfway appropriate for the flamboyant third night of Festival. He used a shallow basin and razor to shave off the weeks of stubble, a little surprised to see his face underneath, somewhat darker from the sun, but otherwise unchanged. When he pulled out the long green tunic whose arm he'd torn to shreds for bandage, Jace only sighed. "Give it here."

With a carefully-wielded dagger and a needle he'd borrowed from a serving girl, Jace expertly removed the other sleeve, tidying up the ends so it looked almost intentional.

"I'm the one with sisters," Aaron said. "I should have learned to sew."

Jace unfurled the shirt and admired his handiwork. "Just tally it up as one more way I'm superior to you."

"Noted." Aaron pulled the tunic over his head. He glanced uncomfortably at his bare shoulders. "It's going to be cold."

"I thought that's why everyone danced at these things. To keep from freezing." Jace leaned his chair back dangerously far. "They say Volos is a good night for fresh starts. Forgiveness, even."

Aaron shot him a sharp look. "What?"

Jace met his gaze. "Sometimes we have to keep secrets."

"Really?" Aaron felt his face heat. "I can't believe you're defending her for lying to her kyrleader."

"Under orders. Raelyn did it too. You don't seem angry with her, though."

"I'm not angry with anyone."

Jace shrugged. "Okay."

Sapphire was waiting in the hallway when they emerged. She looked up at the sound of the door, then quickly glanced away. Aaron's stomach clenched.

Raelyn and Delia must have found somewhere to wash and dry their clothes. They looked fresh without the dust of the road, with a few rainbow-colored bangles Delia had found at the market glittering around their wrists. One of them was a band of tiny stones wrapped in thin silver wire, collected from the Teeth.

"Ready?" Sapphire asked.

"Yes, but you're not," said Raelyn. Sapphire stiffened, and Raelyn flushed. "No, I meant..." She trailed off awkwardly and yanked a long violet scarf from the belt at her waist.

"For your hair," she said, not meeting the scout's eyes. "It'll look better than the cloak."

Sapphire blinked. The pause turned uncomfortable and she quickly took the scarf from Raelyn's outstretched hand. The princess cleared her throat. "We'll wait while you wrap it."

They left the tavern just after sunset, under strict orders from Raelyn to have fun. Drums and flutes throbbed from every corner. The streets were already full, and all around Aaron the night air thrummed with energy. The early darkness was lit by rings of torches encircling the town squares, lending a strange glow to laughing passersby and a frenetic energy to the movements of the musicians as they set the rhythm for a hundred heartbeats.

Aaron felt the tension in his neck receding as they worked their way through the crowds. He felt himself fading into a we instead of an I, releasing the burden of his individuality and folding into the group, the community of the moment. This night was not about him.

It might feel grand to be powerful, he thought absently. But sometimes it's just as thrilling to be insignificant.

At last they squeezed out from the throngs and into one of the squares where several couples already whirled across the cobblestones. Between the press of people and the burning torches Aaron felt warm, though the night was crisp.