Cannonfire

That night the rain stopped, and Aaron was relieved to escape the hold and sleep under the stars again. Despite that he slept fitfully, rousing several times during the night and struggling to get comfortable.

Once he woke to see Katrina standing above him, staring out at the water. "Captain?"

"Morning, Aaron."

"It's the middle of the night, Captain Hawkins."

"So it is." She squinted into the darkness. "Something out there," she murmured.

"Great Kur?" Aaron suggested blearily.

Katrina glanced down and nudged his knee with her boot. "Back to sleep with you."

The next day dawned clear and almost sunny, though the air was still cool enough that Aaron pulled on a thick tunic over his long-sleeved shirt. He glanced out at the ocean, but all he could see was open water.

For an hour or so he helped out the crew, holding the line as they reattached the foresail to catch the weakening breeze. When Raelyn and Delia emerged from their cabin, he joined them on the reardeck.

"I see my leash has been shortened yet again," Raelyn complained. "Can't I have half a ship's length of freedom?"

"Not if you keep eyeing the rigging like that," said Aaron.

"You're a tyrant."

"Is this fellow bothering you, sweetling?" Katrina was leaning against the rearmast, legs crossed at the ankle. "I could straighten him out for you."

Raelyn sighed dramatically. "Alas, I'm accustomed to it."

"I can imagine. The fellows must buzz like bees around you."

"And never a drop of honey for their troubles," Raelyn quipped.

Katrina smirked. "Honey, aye. You're a clever one, Mistress Robin."

"My gift and my curse."

"For the rest of us, mostly curse," said Delia. Raelyn scowled.

"Aaron," Jace called. He had fished the wooden swords out of their packs and offered them up. "Ready for a little morning training?"

"Tired of our practice sessions?" Delia asked pointedly.

Jace stiffened. "Figured you'd be busy with your other friend."

"Practice swords, on my ship," Katrina said disgustedly. She beckoned to Jace with one crooked finger. "Come on, Red. Cross blades with me, see how a real woman fights."

"I'd be delighted."

"Watch it, Kat," Matty called. He was looping a long rope in a coil around his forearm. "They probably won't pay us if you kill one of 'em."

"My dear Matthew makes a fair point. Perhaps you could sharpen up my boys instead." Katrina's eyes glinted slyly. "Neal could use some practice."

"Please," Raelyn muttered to the captain. "That fire needs no fuel from you."

Aaron saw Sapphire climb out the hatch from belowdecks. He raised a hand to get her attention, but when she turned she seemed to look past him out at the open sea. Then she was striding quickly towards them.

"You want in, little bird?" Katrina called to her. "I never did get to see how you use those knives of yours. I'm shivering with anticipation."

But Sapphire's face was grim. She grabbed Aaron's arm and yanked him to the railing. "Do you see it?"

Aaron blinked in confusion, looking back and forth between the scout and the empty ocean. "See what?"

Sapphire swore under her breath. "A ship. Too close."