Random ARG?

On a random Saturday afternoon, Y/N was curled up against their bedroom squishmallow, mindlessly perusing through their favorite social media platforms. Y/N has recently seen images of colorful characters but has opted to ignore them in order to watch memes instead. However, some of the memes included the same colorful characters from before, and it was a nice laugh. Y/N has observed something, though: one character in particular kept reappearing, and it was the character with a dark blue pompadour, cynical eyes, and a smile labeled "Wally." Y/N's initial impressions were that they had a beautiful style and appeared to be rather interesting. When Y/N saw one of their images, they opted to double tap to heart it.

Y/N reasoned that hearting one image wouldn't hurt, and it wasn't like it would flood their feed in any way. Y/N was wrong.  Y/N fell back into their squishmallow to check their feed after about 20 minutes of clicking off and on applications, standing up from the comforts of their bed to look in the fridge and realize that there was still nothing to eat, and doing the walk of shame back to their room. Y/N began to see more photos of the same precise character they adored, and the characters appeared to be dressed in various styles and interacting with other characters.

That wasn't the only thing. This particular character, "Wally," appeared to be the only one who was actively staring at the screen, or at Y/N the most. Maybe Y/N was overthinking it; after all, those images are were simply silly, bright cartoon characters that someone put together. Y/N did their best to watch other things, such as a random YouTube video of people building a pool out in the middle of nowhere, a gumball machine restoration video, a random dance play, favorite reactors, or mukbangs. The unexpected flashes of "Wally" came to memory, and Y/N determined to find out where these characters came from. When Y/N opened their favorite web browser, they searched for "Wally Darling" and discovered that it was from an ARG website.

"Welcome home..puppet show?" Y/N read the title aloud, scanning over the well-designed website and scrolling down to the bottom. The layout of the website was pretty interesting at first glance, but the most distracting thing was the series of houses encircling one main house that seemed to have its windows shifting.  Because of how they feverishly shifted all over the place, they resembled eyes in some ways. Y/N hummed in curiosity, desiring to first browse the website's material before going into that middle house. After an hour of perusing the website, Y/N can confidently declare that they are thoroughly engrossed. Everything appeared to be normal, with a tinge of mystery.

The last thing Y/N had to do was investigate that unusual place, Wally's abode. Their phone's screen went black automatically. Y/N assumed it was just the website loading the material, but nothing appeared. It was as though their phone died the instant Y/N touched on that specific residence. Y/N placed their thumb on the side of the phone's power button and clicked it several times to confirm that it was their phone that had suddenly blacked out and shut down on itself. "Just what is going on?" Y/N inquired, pressing the power and volume down buttons simultaneously to reset their phone. That was extremely strange. Nothing like this has ever happened before.

As Y/N waited for their phone to restart, the starting screen displayed a single pair of eyes staring directly at them before shutting down again. It was brief, and Y/N recognizes that it was not their usual start-up screen. "Wait a minute..." Y/N whispered to themselves, a slight sweat breaking out on their brow as they waited for their screen to light up again. Perhaps that was an unintentional issue on the webpage. In any case, it's taking a lot longer than usual to get their phone back in working order. Y/N sighed, tossing their phone aside so it didn't bounce off the bed and lying flat into the sheets before using their arms as a pillow. "I can't be seeing things, am I tweaking?" Y/N released yet another sigh, rolling their body to lay on their back as they stared up at the ceiling.