Ch. 27: Not Love

Začít od začátku

Almost shyly, she leans over to give me a sweet, chaste kiss on the lips. "Yes. But you are so much more than that, Nicco. You—are a dream come true."

My hands reach up to frame Aria's face, pulling her in for a deeper kiss. The delicious crush of her lips on mine sets me on fire. Bliss swells in my heart, so much so that I might burst from it. Outrage no longer controls me. I am still determined to seek out the fuckers who wronged us and skewer their heads on spikes, but, now, a softer, stronger emotion takes over. Not love, of course. I do not know if my selfish, spoiled ass is even capable of such a selfless emotion, but, through hell or high water, with or without the threat of this goddamn sex tape, I want to live up to everything that Aria sees in me. I want to make all of her dreams come true, and I will hold her close and hold on tight to what we have for as long as she will let me. If I cannot protect her with a ring on her finger, then I must find another way to keep her safe. Manning and the Beltráns remain at large. Aria may very well be in danger simply because of her ties to me.

This is when another wild scheme takes hold of my brain. Pulling back slightly, I mumble against her cheek, "Aria?"

"Hmm?"

"I still need a new place to live."

Her eyes flutter. "Oh, right! Of course. I was planning to set up a few apartment tours once we're back in the office tomorrow."

I smirk like the shameless bastard I am. "Do you think that I could stay with you until I move into my new place? As you know, I must start living within my means. You would be doing my bank account a great favor. Not to mention, it would also ease my worries, as your boyfriend, knowing that you are close by and under my protection if something else were to happen."

Bedsheets rustle as Aria freezes beside me. Releasing an audible gasp, she stares back in awe. "You... want to move in with me?"

Shrugging, I act like it is no big deal. "Just for a few weeks."

Funny thing is I have never dated a woman long enough to share my residence. I should be sweating bullets right now, but, ironically, Aria looks far more nervous about living together than I am. She is not at fault. My plan is borderline extreme, I know, but I feel compelled to push for this arrangement. Considering what mia famiglia is up against with the Beltráns, keeping my girl as close to me as possible is the best way to keep her safe. I am doing this out of necessity.

Or so I tell myself.

I sense skepticism in Aria's tone when she remarks, "You realize that my flat is in Fulham, right? The, uh, accommodations will be a far cry from what you're used to in your penthouse."

My full attention returns to Aria. I brush my thumb across the softness of her cheek and say reassuringly, "It does not matter as long as I am with you."

Turning her head, Aria nips my thumb between her teeth. My cock gives a disgruntled twitch. He is jealous of my thumb.

Not now, you demanding fuck.

She teases, "You sure about that, Mr. My-Walk-In Closet-Is-Bigger-Than-Most-Peasants'-Bedrooms?"

"Ha! You are hilarious." I make a face at Aria to mask my reaction to her little love bite, which feels equal parts a turn-on and a taunt. I should not lose focus. Clearing my throat, I grunt, "So... you will take me in?"

Aria gives a slight pause. "Well, I'm game if you're game, but I won't lie..."

"What is the matter?"

She gulps. "I've never lived with a guy—like you—who matters so much to me. Being under the same roof is either going to bring us closer. Or make us want to kill each other."