Chapter 18

Pov: Grian

I sit next to Mumbo's body until the capitol takes him away. And then don't move from where I sit, sobbing, as the ship disappears again, legs huddled up close to me, leaning against a tree. My throat hurts, head throbbing from where Doc shoved it against the tree... I don't care. I don't care about any of it.

Mumbo is dead.

Mumbo is gone. 

And I'm completely alone. 

BigB.

Iskall.

Keralis.

And now Mumbo.

The odds were NEVER in my favour. I don't know why I ever pretended they were. I don't care that I survived 2 career attacks and a fire. I don't care that Cub saved my life. The only people I tried to help are dead, or stole the one thing that could've saved Mumbo... 

I sit there, sometimes crying, sometimes not, for the rest of the day. 3 cannon shots go off. I don't know who it is, but hope it's the Careers, or maybe even Impulse. I start eating some of the food, starving. Drink some of the water. 

And then the music starts. 

I stare into the sky, blinking back tears as...

No.

Cub.

Cub's dead.

And then Mumbo. But it doesn't matter any more.

Cub's dead.

Scar's...

No.

I'm not.

I can't. 

He must be dead too. They were both killed surely.

I don't care about Lizzie, also dead. Or...

Zedaph.

Who we gave up our healing stuff for.

The stuff that could've saved Mumbo.

The stuff Impulse stole and didn't give back.

It was for nothing.

It was all for nothing.

Everything was for nothing.

I scream, drowning out the music as it comes to a close. Everything was for nothing. I'm back where I was before I found Mumbo, Iskall and Keralis. Except now I've got a whole lot more regrets and a lot less to help myself.

And I promised Cub I'd ally with Scar when he died.

And now he's dead.

So...

No. I can't. I'm not risking my life for HIM.

But... 

No.

I'm not going to.

But... I'm not doing anything else...

Blood covers me. Pain. Terror. People surround me as they run from the cornucopia. Fighting. Danger. I've got nothing. I saw BigB die... my ally. Dead. Gone...

I crash into someone, turning.  Cub stands there, a sword raised above my head. The fury of the moment fills his expression. He's going to kill me. End this. 

Recognition fills his expression, and he stops. 

And he sheathes his sword.

'Go. But when I'm dead you keep Scar alive.' He shoves a bag into my arms. Food. Stuff. A chance go survive.