Chapter 1

ONLY READ THIS IF YOU'RE ON WATTPAD. IF YOU'RE NOT, LEAVE THE SITE YOU'RE ON IMMEDIATELY. THIS BOOK - AND PROBABLY MANY OTHERS ON THE SITE - HAVE BEEN STOLEN. IF YOU WANT TO FIND THE CORRECT VERSION OF THIS, GO TO WATTPAD AND SEARCH FOR IT THERE. 

Scar's Pov:

District 12 is always the first to have their Reaping. 

I stand in the group of potential tributes. Every year it's been the same. Waiting to see if we're in the death game or not as our Capitol representative smiles down at us, drawing the names from the glass spheres like it's some amazing duty to get to fight in the yearly murder game. 

The first is picked.

'BigB?' 

Not me. I watch as the tribute walks to the stage. They're shaking. Everyone who's forced into this game shakes as they walk up to accept their death. I don't know who they are. I don't know if it helps. 

The second name is drawn.

'Scar Goodtimes.'

I don't move. I don't say anything. Every head turns to face me, clearing a path for me. Now it's my turn to start that long path up. My brain already runs through strategies, my chances. I know my chances are low. There's only 1 living District 12 winner - Wilbur Soot - who stands on the stage with BigB, watching me. And I'm nothing like him, nowhere near his level. I almost die enough without being in a situation where it's likely. At least Wilbur can be smart, decent with a sword, good enough to survive his competition.

Behind me, I hear a meow and turn to see Jellie.

'Unfortunately we cannot have a cat as a volunteer tribute.' 

I don't laugh. No one does, except our representative who said it. I glare at them before continuing to the stage, glancing over at BigB. 

'Can we get another round of applause for our two Tributes?' The Capitol representative continues as though nothing happened. Everyone has to clap as I look out on the people and places I knew, knowing most likely that I'm never going to see it again.

Grian's PoV:

District 1 is always last to be reaped.

Every year I write down a list of tributes just in case I'm among them. People I'd ally with. People to avoid. The weakest, or strongest, anything... This year is no different.

As always, there are a few interesting tributes... The 7 foot Doc in District 2, the duo from District 9 already calling themselves 'The Ranchers'. The incredibly nervous Impulse from District 5 who's best friend (Skizz?) had tried to replace, but had been refused. Impulse himself had drawn out the already excited Bdubs to stop him (whom the only notes on had been 'Small guy energy').

Even though Doc and False - the other district 2 tribute who already carried a sword with her - seemed threatening, the favourite had already been chosen as the mysterious Etho from District 6, who was partnered with Joel - who'd called himself 'tall, smart, sexy, strong, tall, strong, handsome, tall and sexy'. 

And then there was District 12, who everyone overlooks except me. The tributes - BigB and Scar - seemed as weak as normal. But there was a chance... maybe. They certainly seemed better than a lot of the others in terms of friendliness. And a weak ally would be easy to kill off if you help them through everything else. Or maybe it's the fact that Scar's own cat tried to volunteer for him.

I stand surrounded by other potential candidates, aware only now of the other important factor - mentor. For the last few years, District 9 candidates were suddenly a lot better after the assistance of the legendary winner - Technoblade - who'd won what was considered the most intense and exciting Hunger Games I'd ever seen.

'Cubfan!' 

I blink back to reality at the name of the first tribute, seeing someone with black hair and a white shirt climb onto the stage. He seems confident, almost trustworthy. 

'And our second tribute is... Grian!'

I can't react too much, show I'm scared. The cameras are watching me as I walk to the stage. I've seen this all enough times to know how to act... narrowed eyes, smile, nod to Cub (the Capitol love allies in the same district). He nods back.

'Everyone give an applause for our last two tributes in this year's Hunger games!' I join in the applause, before taking Cub's hand. He's as knowledgeable as me, it appears, and that's all I know about him. 

In a few weeks time only one of us will be alive.

I sit alone in the train to the Capitol the next day, adding the last two names to the list of tributes. I then read through again. 

1: Me and Cub

2: False and Doc (threats)

3: Fwhip and Mumbo

4: Lizzie and Jevin (threat?)

5: Impulse (ally?) and Bdubs

6: Etho (threat) and Joel

7: Ren and Iskall

8: Keralis and Cleo

9: Tango and Jimmy (allies?)

10: Pearl and Zed

11: Martyn and Gem

12: Scar (weak) and BigB (allies?) 

I'll have to wait until training to decide further. But there's one person I should get to know now, and he's just walked into my compartment.

'Grian, right?' I look up at Cub. He seems almost as confident as yesterday. 

'Yeah. What are you doing here?'

A shrug. 

'Any plans for the games?'

'Why would I tell you? You could use them against me.' 

'Smart.' He sits opposite. I hide my list. 

'What about you?'

'See who wants to be my ally.' It's then I notice he'd fiddling with something. I frown, trying to see it properly, and to my surprise he shows me. 

'One for me, one for my ally.' It's a pin, silver, with a circle, and a pair of strange wings in the empty middle. 'Something to identify us. And a promise to myself.'

'Why?' Curiosity fills me. 'What kind of promise?'

'Nothing much.' We fall silent, until the third important person enters - our mentor Scott. 

'Ok... what are your plans?' He asks, taking the third seat. All I know about him is his incredible flamboyance. I hand over the list of names and he reads through. 

'So you're looking for allies?' 

'I'm keeping my plans secret.' He pauses. 

'So you haven't told the closest thing to a teammate what you're planning?' He looks from me to Cub. My uneasiness grows with the attention.

'Right now I can trust myself and that's all. I don't even know who you are.' 

'I'm Scott. I actually won.'

'And I'm Cub. I... have no idea what my plan is.' 

'Then maybe work together and create one. The train will be arriving soon.' 

I glare as Scott sweeps from the room again.

'I don't share my plans and you don't share yours, deal?' I hold out my hand. Cub accepts, as the train slows to a stop just outside the capitol.

Ok... Hopefully the other chapters go a bit better than this one... 

This is a really bad start. 

Ooof