Chapter 8

PoV: Scar

I watch the faces of the dead appear in the sky. 

There are only 5. I've watched Hunger Games with far more gone on the first day. But they still stick in my mind. BigB, my fellow District 12. Jimmy, who was the kindest person here. Cleo... Jevin... guilt fills me as I realise I don't even know them, nor Bdubs really.

'Are you alright?' I look over to see Cub, blinking back the tears I barely knew were there.

'Yeah... you?'

'I'm fine.' It's impossible to tell if he's lying.

'How's the injury?'

A pause.

'It hurts less.'

Neither of us speak for a bit. 

'Scar?'

'Yeah?' I notice Cub's holding something.

'I forgot to give it to you before.' He hands it over. It's a small pin, a silver circle with a pair of strange wings in the middle, as well as a sword, blade facing up.

'I've got one too.' He takes it out. 'I had to hide them so the Capitol wouldn't confiscate them.' It's identical to mine.

'What's- what are the wings?'

'Vexes.'

'Vexes?'

'Failed Capitol experiment. You see a few around District 1 sometimes. Little blue creatures that are too chaotic for their own good.' 

'Too chaotic for their own good. Like us.'

'There was a resistance with them as mascots... I joined in...'

'Wow... that's... did you achieve anything?'

'I knew I was going to get reaped. They rigged it because they wanted me to go into the games and get killed. Like everyone else.' 

Silence.

'They killed everyone?'

'There were a few who ran away, or repented, or served other punishment. It's not like I'm the only survivor but... this will stop the rest. When they see me die.'

'You're not going to die.' I shoot back, 'I'm not letting you die.'

'They're not going to let me win this. So I'm going out with as much chaos as possible.' 

I stare down at the badge in my hands with new eyes. So it's a sign of resistance in... district 1? The district where they're barely worse off than the capitol? If anything, it should be in District 9 after the rumours spread about Techno's disappearance. 

'We're not as rich as you think.' Cub adds, as though reading my mind. 'We're still underfed and treated as lesser. We thought if we fought back, then other districts would be more likely to but they hid the entire thing like it didn't happen.

'I hate the Capitol.' Is all I can say. 'I hate all of this... why do we have to go in here just to die?'

'You're not going to die.' I laugh at Cub's attempt to convince me. 

'Thanks, but I'm not strong, or intelligent... like you. I can't do anything...'

'You can set stuff on fire... people will either love you or hate you.'

Another silence. 

'We should sleep... grab some more of that rope so we can stop ourself from falling out the tree.'

I do, silent. We make sure we won't fall. I volunteer the first shift, but Cub refuses. I try to sleep, eyes closed and leaning on the tree.

Bang. 

A cannon shot. 

Another dead player. 

'That'll be Keralis.' Mutters Cub. 'He was close to death and had nothing to save himself when he ran away.'

'I've never even heard of him.' I admit. 'What... district?'

'7? ...8?'

'We don't even know where he's from...' I sigh.

'Sleep.' Urges Cub again. 'You need it.'

'Fine...'

This time, I do drift away into uneasy dreams of resistance, running, before I'm suddenly woken.

'W...what?' I blink awake. Cub signals to be quiet. I don't move, reaching for my bow.

'Who?' I mouth

He holds up 6 fingers. I frown, unable to lipread what he says next. A sigh.

'Etho and Joel!' He whispers.

'Hello?'

We shut up at Etho's voice.

'Come on, cowards.' Calls Joel. 'Stop hiding and fight us.'

I fumble out of the safety rope, creeping forwards on the branch, I aim an arrow at Etho. I can shoot from here and kill him. He won't even realise until it's too late...

'HEY!' Joel points at me. 'You shoot him, I shoot me you!' He's got his own bow. Of course.

'Who is it?'

'Arson guy. District 12.'

'Alone?'

'I don't know.'

'Can everyone stop calling me arson guy?' Is all I can think to say. 'Call me...' I pause to think and signal for Cub to move. He shakes his head. I nod. He grabs our stuff, mouths 'stay safe', and waits for the signal. 'Call me... HOTGUY!' I shoot. Cub jumps down from the tree. Joel yells out something and chases after, but I follow down, landing on him and holding him back.

'Not a chance... Joel.' My ability to come up with nicknames fails and he laughs.

'Scar! Etho!' confusion fills me at Cub's warning. Joel's the one with the bow. He's...

A jerk upwards. I flail in midair as I'm sent skywards, trying to turn so I land on my feet. Joel's distracted. Cub charges forwards, shoving him out the way as I land with a crack.

'Come on...' I can't move my leg, stumbling to my feet. It's broken. Joel slowly stands, old injuries clearly hurting. Before he tries again, I turn and aim at Etho. His eyes widen beneath the mask he always wears. I realise he's holding a fishing rod. Was that what he used to...

'Scar! Run!' I snap back to attention, stumbling along. Cub keeps me standing, and I try not to use my bad leg, wincing every time it hits the ground. Behind, Etho calls an order. I numbly realise it's to retreat.

'We've got everything, don't worry.' it takes too long to realise Cub means the stuff.

'Good... That's good.' I reply, as we stop and I collapse. My leg throbs with pain. I barely comprehend the lightening sky and realise it's dawn.

'They must've taken our tree.' Figures Cub, pacing. 'Instead of following and trying to wipe us out.'

'Etho's... Big brain.' I add. 'Very big brain.'

'Are you ok?'

'Me? I'm fine...'

'You're not. We can stay here for a bit. I'll set up traps in case anyone else comes our way... You're going to rest.'

'You've been up all this time.'

'Etho broke your leg. Sleep.'

'Cub...'

'Sleep. Or I force you to.'

I nod.

'Fine.' I can't admit how much I need it as I close my eyes again.

This... is starting to go downhill.
I have run out of planned chapters...