#

But they didn't have to search very much for either Yuehwa nor Lady Kang, because when the first crack of dawn appeared across the horizon, both women appeared before them—at the head of the Dahai army.

Yuehwa was sitting atop a black steed, dressed in flowing, gauzy red robes in the Dahai style. She wore no armour, no adornments, and her long hair was left hanging past her shoulders, its soft strands blowing with the wind.

Like a phoenix. Or a dahlia in bloom.

Beside her, Lady Kang sat in a horse-drawn bronze chariot, still donning the same fur cloak that Shoya had previously seen her in. Her lips were drawn in a cruel, victorious sneer.

The Firebrands of Hwa who recognised their regent immediately broke into an uproar, astounded by what they were looking at. This was their princess, the leader of their kingdom, commanding enemy troops against their own.

Even though he already knew what to expect, Ru Fei, too, wore a deep frown on his face. He raised his hand into the air, silencing his men. Then, he turned to Baixun and Shoya, waiting for instruction.

"Dark Magician! Return the princess to us and stand down your army, and we may yet grant you leniency in death. You will not triumph today," Baixun hollered.

Lady Kang laughed, and her tinkling laughter somehow carried itself across the entire battlefield. It made the hairs on the backs of everyone's necks stand.

"Is this how you negotiate, Prince of Gi?" she scoffed. "You are not the one with bargaining power here. If anything—he is the one I am willing to bargain with." She pointed her gnarled wooden staff in Shoya's direction.

"What do you want!" Shoya growled.

"How about your life, in exchange for hers?"

Part of him wanted to rush forward immediately. What was his own life worth if he lost her? If he could indeed trade his life for hers, he would have gladly done it in a heartbeat. But he did not move, because he knew that it was only a lie. A vendetta that spanned centuries would not be so easily written off with one death.

Lady Kang—the monster that had fought against Hwang Nanzhe in the past—would not rest until that grudge was paid, and until she had gained control of all the kingdoms.

The woman laughed again.

"Still a coward, I see," she said, shaking her head. "If only she knew, do you think she would choose to sacrifice her life for you once again? I think not."

"Enough!" Baixun interrupted. "You have one last chance. Surrender, and hand over the princess, or prepare to fight to the death."

"You are very courageous, Prince of Gi, but also very foolish. If you wish to die, then I shall grant you that wish." Lady Kang turned to Yuehwa. "Princess, shall we use the blood of our enemies to appease those who have died under their swords?"

Yuehwa, who had her head bowed all this while, finally lifted her chin and looked towards Shoya and Baixun on the opposite side of the battlefield. Her gaze was cold and emotionless, as if she were staring at mere strangers.

She pulled her sword from its scabbard and raised the blade high in the air. Behind her, the Dahai army—and its undead minions—let out a deafening roar.

"For Dahai!" she yelled.

"For Dahai!" the army echoed.

#

Yuehwa did not remember if she had ever fought a war before, but she reckoned she must have, because of the way the hilt of the sword seemed to fit perfectly in the palm of her hand and the way she was able to slice through every single enemy that crossed her path with ease. Her movements were fluid, weaving in and out through the mess of clashing swords and shields on horseback as if she were galloping across an open field.