A thin fog crept out from between the branches, curling its tendrils dangerously around the group.

Everyone immediately unsheathed their weapons, readying themselves for what was to come.

"Your Highness!" Maroo shrieked.

Yuehwa held out her blade just in time to block a tiny silver needle from embedding itself in Baixun's neck. The tiny projectile fell to the ground, then disappeared in a wisp of smoke.

The silence from before was replaced by a chaotic battle against enemies they could not see, enemies who might not even be there. Swords flashed in the air, knocking down several more of these innocuous needles, all of which vanished before they could even figure out what they were. Their horses, spooked by the sudden attack and the thickening fog, whinnied loudly and reared on their hind legs, almost throwing some of their riders to the ground. The stallion that Maroo was riding was struck in the side, and his companion had just enough time to leap them both off the horse's back before their steed's knees buckled and it collapsed to the ground.

To their horror, a corruption began to spread across the coat of the injured horse, like an ugly web of cracks that turned its dark brown fur into dirty grey–turning it into stone. A gasp caught in Yuehwa's throat when she saw the stallion crumble into ash before her eyes.

"We need to get out of here," she shouted.

She grabbed the terrified Maroo by the collar and pulled him up her horse, while Shoya did the same for his guard. Pulling at their reins and nudging their heels into the sides of their mounts, they sent the horses galloping down the path as fast as they could, while still fending off the deadly projectiles that continued to fly towards them.

"It isn't working. They're still chasing us," Baixun said, a thin film of sweat lining his tired brow as he hung tightly onto his reins. The exhaustion was visible on his face, quickly wearing him down.

"Veer left," Shoya commanded. With one swift motion, he yanked at his steed and re-directed it off the trodden path, carving a new route through the dense bush. "There should be a small lake not far from here."

A lake.

Yuehwa immediately understood what Shoya had in mind. She didn't know if it would work against these unnatural enemies, but it was worth a try. At the rate they were going, eventually someone would fall to the onslaught, and it would likely be Baixun given his weakened condition.

It wasn't long before the forest gave way to the shimmering surface of a lake, reflecting the dying rays of the sun. No one had time to appreciate its beauty. The moment they reached the bank, all of them leapt off the backs of their mounts and dove into the water.

The coldness of the lake pierced through her skin and down to her bones, enveloping her in its iciness. She held her breath, still gripping her sword in her hand to deflect any needles that would break through the water surface. Thankfully, there were none. Shoya's gamble seemed to have paid off.

She could see her companions around her, all treading water to stay suspended, eyes carefully looking up.

After a few moments, she thought to emerge, seeing as there was no further movement coming from the surface. But Shoya reached out and pulled her back, shaking his head.

"Wait," he mouthed.

Right on cue, a dark shadow moved overhead, hovering above them like an ominous cloud.

A strangled cry emerged from Maroo's lips, leaving as a string of bubbles that escaped upwards. The shadow immediately latched on to it, darting towards Maroo's position. The water's surface rippled dangerously, as if the thing was trying to reach for them but could not breach the lake's barrier.