𝐧 𝐞 𝐮 𝐟.

Start from the beginning

  There was a small click from Stan's direction and Klaus gasped as a spear pierced through his chest. My eyes widened in horror, seeing the spear had gone all the way through, leaving blood splattered all over the wall. Klaus shook with pain and shock, slowly turning around to see the spear in the wall.
  "Oh shit..." He gasped, before falling backwards onto the rug, splattering blood everywhere upon hitting the ground.

  "Klaus?!" I rushed to his side, tears already streaming down my cheeks. This couldn't have happened. How had it even happened? I mean. Stan wasn't pointing the gun at him, right? At least, not when I was looking.
  "No! Uncle Klaus!" Stan cried, throwing the speargun down to the floor. His eyes were wide when I looked up at him, tears filling his waterline. The look of horror and guilt on his face was enough to know how he felt. In that moment, I had two options. One: blame Stan for shooting Klaus. Or two: comfort him. I knew it wasn't his fault. I knew he hadn't meant it. And whilst I needed someone to blame for this, Stan wasn't the person. He may have been the one to shoot the gun, but I could've taken it off him. I didn't want to blame myself either though. Not the way I'd blamed myself for Dad's death.

  I sucked in a deep breath, trying my best to keep my composure. I stood shakily, using the couch behind me as support. Stan look terrified as his eyes met mine. I could tell he thought I was blaming him. He wasn't just terrified of what he'd done, he was terrified of my reaction to it. I swallowed my grief, walking slowly around Klaus towards Stan. He shook, his eyes wider than ever, and his mouth slightly agape. I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug. He remained still for a minute, before wrapping his own arms around my waist, and burying his head in my chest. I could feel his tears soak through my shirt, but I kept my arms wound around him tightly, also crying. We cried together for a while, before I finally regained what little composure I had left.

  "Listen," My voice was croaky and my throat ached from crying, "It's not your fault, okay? It was an accident...But we need to tell someone, alright?"
  "No! No, Diego's gonna be so mad!" Stan cried, wiping his face. I sighed, knowing he was right. But we couldn't do nothing.
  "We have to tell someone, Stan. We have to."
  "I'll do it." He said, his face serious and concentrated. "You stay here. I'll tell them."
  "Are you sure?" I shook my head, knowing I couldn't let him face the punishment alone. "I can come with you. I'll say its my fault. They'll believe me if I convince them enough."
  Stan shook his head, "No. I'll do it. Someone has to stay here to make sure no one finds him."

  I looked back at Klaus' lifeless body on the floor. The rug, once white, was now a deep red around his body. The hole in his chest almost seemed to reflect the gaping hole that was now growing in my heart, one only Klaus could fill. I'd realized that each of the Hargreeves, Stan included, held a special piece of my heart, one that only themselves could hold. Five's piece was the biggest, of course, but Klaus wasn't far behind.
  The feeling was different to Dad's death. It hurt just as much, but not nearly in the same way. When Dad died, it was like losing a part of me, one that had been there my whole life. But this time, it was like losing a newer part of me. I hadn't known Klaus for that long, but the impact he'd had on me, the way I relied on him, probably more than I should've, was enough to make me want to bawl again. But I knew I couldn't, not with Stan staring up at me expectantly.

  I nodded slowly, sniffling and wiping my remaining tears. He gave a guilty smile, hurt spread across his features, before turning and leaving the room. I collapsed onto the couch beside me, staring down at his body. What the fuck was Stan gonna say to Diego to fix this? Not that it could be fixed. I was starting to regret letting him go alone.

  My mind wandered to the times I'd spent with Klaus, trying to relive them to stop more tears from escaping. When we first met at Allison's house. When we'd got tacos and ended up in the salon. When we'd almost died trying to stop Viktor from ending the world. After knowing him for only a few days, I'd trusted him enough to tell him I loved Five. He was the first person to know. I smiled a little at that thought.
  And then there was just earlier today, when he'd offered me a drink downstairs. We hadn't spoken much, but rather just enjoyed each others company. I was already missing him, more than I thought was possible.

  "I- Um..." Stan's voice sounded from the doorway. Diego stood beside him, staring down at Klaus' lifeless body. His eyes were wide as they set themselves on the sight before him.
  "Klaus... Diego muttered, stepping into the room. Immediately, a sort of protective instinct kicked in.
  "It- It wasn't Stan's fault!" I stood from the couch, unsure of how exactly I was gonna do this. "I did it. We- I- It was an accident. I didn't mean-"
  Diego interrupted me, holding a finger up and shushing me. He approached the body, kneeling down beside it.
  "What did you do." His voice was tired and his features stiffened as he gently closed Klaus' eyes.
  "Nothing." Stan pleaded, his voice shaky. Diego looked up at him with tears in his eyes.
  "I told you...I-I did it, Diego. I- I didn't- It wasn't-" I was cut of again.
  "I know it wasn't you, Y/n. Don't take the blame." Diego straightened, taking a deep breath. He was taking this surprisingly well.
  "Do not lie to me, Stanley." He grabbed a fistful of Stan's shirt, pulling him closer to him. Nevermind. "This is my brother. Tell me what you did."

  I slowly sat back down, knowing I couldn't convince Diego that I had done it, and not Stan. I felt sorry for him, hearing his breathing increase in fear.
  "We were just messing around, and it was fine." Stan paused, "Until the gun went off."
Diego looked behind him at the couch, and I noticed that Stan had placed a bunch of cleaning materials there.
  "And you were gonna dissolve the body?!" Diego yelled.
  "What?!" I stood up again in shock, Stan whipping his head around to face me, "You said you were gonna tell him!"
Stan's face crumpled as he turned back to Diego, "I didn't know what else to do, okay?!" He burst out, and I suddenly felt awful. I could tell Diego did too, since his face distorted and more tears formed in his eyes. "You were gonna hate me, and then I'd have to go to prison, join a gang for protection, and end up in the hole!"
  "Hey, hey, hey. I don't hate you." Diego soothed, removing his hold on Stan's shirt and cupping his face. "I just...can't believe it, okay?...All the stupid shit Klaus used to do. I used to think he could survive anything, and now he's dead..."
  "I'm really, really sorry." Stan threw his arms around Diego, sniffling and crying. Diego hugged him back, placing his head on Stan's.
  "Me too, kid."

  He looked up at me, and I smiled sympathetically. I wasn't really sure what else to do. But Diego returned the smile, though his expression was clearly hurt. He held out an arm towards me, keeping his other around Stan and I ran to join them. Until a few weeks ago, I'd never really lost anyone important to me. Sure, my mom walked out, but she was a whore and I fucking hated her. But after Dad died, I thought it couldn't get any worse. Yet, now I was stood in Diego's arms, Stan sandwiched between the two of us, crying over Klaus' death. To put it lightly, this was not how I'd expected the future to be.

  "Come on and help me wrap up your uncle in the carpet."

✮✮✮

  yall im sorry i thought it was friday today so this updates literally 1.5 hrs late omg 😭

  i hope yall enjoyed <33

  (also, go check my conversation feed thing i got some new ideas for fanfics and i need yalls opinions😋)

  ❪ chapters released every wednesday, 4:00pm and friday, 5:30pm ❫

-eva xoxo