Chapter 1

"Light, how are you feeling?" Sachiko asked Light, seeing him laying down in his back, clenching his lower stomach as it was still hurting but way worse than it was pre surgery. He moaned, not saying anything other than pointing to the location of the pain itself. "Sweetie, it's going to be okay. I want to say how I'm happy for you that you've not given up on school and continued to focus on your grades some more." She told him, proud of her son for his enthusiasm, despite that shit show last week. Sayu showed up from downstairs as she had Light's homework and assignments from his classes.

"Mom, I'm here to bring Light's schoolwork." She told their mother this and she smiled, allowing her in and handed Light his textbooks and papers. He was tired, clearly in pain and definitely not in the mood to be sitting in his desk and doing schoolwork. He only had to do three pages of work in each subject. Even Gym, whereas they make those that are injured to be doing one page of health assignments.

"Thanks, Sayu. I'm going to rest some more now..." Light said, closing his eyes and fell asleep. When Light woke up, it was now 6 pm and he went to work right away. He cringed in pain and blinked his eyes, going to his desk. It's been a week since he had surgery and while he was told that he was going to live with chronic pain for the rest of his life, it also meant that the agonizing feeling itself was irreversible and he knew he couldn't go out much.

At least not for long hours and only three and that's it. Then again, Light only went out with his family as he had no friends before and after. Ryuk was kind of his only friend but as of recently, he stopped showing up frequently. He took the Death Note and flew away with it, leaving the human world and went back to the Shinigami realm. Light knew his boredom was no longer there and he knew he wasn't going to come back ever. As Light was sitting and doing his schoolwork, he felt the pain hurting again. There was no medication to stop this and he rightfully had to accept this as he was really going to live with this until he decides to die.

It is now 7 pm and Light was called for dinner. He slowly got up, walking downstairs and went to the dining room and sat down. He placed his head down, cringing in pain as he held his stomach with both hands. Sayu saw how awful he was looking and knew this was sad and heartbreaking to see her own brother this vulnerable. She tried to assure him everything was going to be okay and he moaned some more.

Soichiro had just came back from work as he is now working until 7 pm which was necessary, as he needed to be there for his family and Light. Light didn't say anything as his family was talking. But the whole time, he felt tired and nauseous most of the time. He stared at his plate, eating very little but that was it. He wasn't all that hungry to begin with. He just wanted to go to sleep and that was it. "Light, how are you doing?" Soichiro asked him, noticing him not saying anything to the conversation.

"I'm okay." He answered and that was it, feeling tears flowing from his eyes. He didn't want to even talk to him or anyone else in the house, feeling worthless and bored of his own mind.

"Light, it's going to be alright. In fact, there's something I wanted to tell you. At the Task Force, there's this guy about your age who is a detective. In fact, I had no idea until he introduced himself but his name is L." He told him, to which Sachiko and Sayu couldn't believe. L, the world's greatest detective, actually is working with the Task Force out of all people? Especially since he never has revealed his identity and now all of a sudden, is doing so?

"Isn't he the world's greatest detective?" Sachiko asked, making sure if this is the real one and not just some impersonator.

"Yes. He has been working with us as of lately and while he doesn't want a lot of people to see him due to his identity, I asked him if I can get Light to meet him. He said he would be honored as he doesn't have any friends at all." Soichiro explained, which made Light quietly groan as he was too much in pain some more. "Did I not mention he's very smart for a 17 year old?" Soichiro added, which lit up the whole room with smiles.

That night, Light was laying down in his back, sleeping and kept on tossing and turning, unable to sleep properly as the agonizing feeling was still there. He went to the bathroom and started sinking his head down, vomiting again. He's been doing this a lot lately and so much as so, he knew it was this horrible and agonizing, he wanted to cry. Which he's been doing for one whole week since his surgery. When he was out of the hospital, he had to grab his stomach with both hands, feeling like he was going to explode. He also was told he will be seeing a doctor every end of the month, which was great (sarcastically speaking) as he knew this was going to be tiring and exhausting. The bright side is that the doctor's office is in a close area so there was no need to take a train to a different district.

The next day later, Soichiro woke Light up and asked him if he would like to go to work with him for an hour and to mostly meet L. He decided it was best to do so. After breakfast, the two Yagami men went to the car and Light sat down, feeling dizzy and weak. He was at least drinking water still, so he didn't have to worry about dehydration. Once Soichiro made it to headquarters, he parked at his usual spot as it's reserved for him. He and Light then left the car and walked to the building.

As they were inside and went to the main room, the Task Force greeted each other. A guy with black long hair, wearing a white long sleeved shirt and baggy jeans was in his desk, currently on his laptop. Light walked to him and tapped his shoulder, which must've startled him as he felt an uneasy feeling towards the younger Yagami. He then looked at him with a line in his mouth, slowly turning into a smile. "You must be Light. My name is L and it's a pleasure to meet you." He introduced himself, shaking his hand.

"Nice to meet you too. I've heard you're the world's greatest detective." Light told him, allowing himself to take a seat.

"And I heard you're Chief Yagami's son." L said to him with a bigger smile on his face and they spoke some more. Light explained to him about last week with him getting surgery as well as how he has been in nonstop chronic pain for 8 weeks now? 8 or 7. He couldn't remember exactly right now. He then lifted his shirt up a bit to show L his stitches. He placed his index fingers next to them, feeling bad for the younger Yagami.

"When your father told us he was going to take time off for a week, he said it had to do with surgery itself but I never thought it'd be you." He said, looking at Light who nodded and he sniffed, tears falling from his eyes. "Light, even though you'll be in pain for the rest of your life like you said, I don't think that's true. Doctors always say stuff like this to their patients because they are too hesitant to even consider the possibilities of what'll happen next when something drastic happens to the patient emotionally and scarring." L explained some more, allowing Light to cry.

"I didn't think of that. All I could think was pain and more pain." He sobbed, crying some more and he wrapped his arm around his shoulder.

"Well, at least you're not in a wheelchair because this would've easily made you paralyzed or traumatized." He assured him and he nodded, knowing those are true facts as to such. But how could Light let this guy be so positive towards him? Nothing makes sense and he wanted to go home right now. It's not even an hour and he wants to go and rest.

"Light, you know that we have an extra room and you can sleep there. Normally, we allow it for Matsuda who takes his naps but since he's on vacation right now, you can stay there. I'm sure won't mind." L said, getting up and took Light to the bedroom in headquarters. It wasn't far as it only was the 7th room that floor. The room was small but nice. It had white walls and a lamp that only turns on at night.

"Ugh..." Light groaned, clutching his stomach with his left hand, cringing as the pain was still there. L saw this and took his right arm to bed. He told him to relax and drink tea Watari made him.

"Oh yeah, Watari is my handler and my adoptive father." He clarified, which Light refused to answer as he was too tired to even answer. He fell asleep afterwards and L left the room and turned the light off, closing the door for peace and quiet.