Act 1 - Chapter 24: Mezos

Start from the beginning

I check the closet and browse around. Not much of a selection. Just white buttoned shirts, denim shorts of various colors, and plain undergarments. "Ari, what's your favorite color?" I ask.

"Green," she answers.

I pick out a green pair of jorts and white of everything else and hand them to Ari.

A short moment later, Ari comes dressed and finally puts on a pair of brown hiking boots.

Before we leave, Ari stops for a moment. "Hey Mezos," she says.

"Yeah?" I say.

"I've been thinking about what might happen if I sign the contract to join The Remnants."

"Like, what things?" I ask.

"Like the possibility of not being able to see Cithara again."

I suppose that's a concern. Ari and Cithara are close, I'm sure of it. If it comes to that point, I would expect Ari bargain with Mr. V in trying to get Cithara to join The Remnants.

"Still, there are other things I would like to know." Ari lowers her head. "Perhaps some info on my biological parents would be nice. I've always wanted to know that. Who are they? Where did they come from? Why did I end up in an orphanage? I'm hoping Dr. Williams might know something."

"I'm sure she does," I say, scratching the back of my head. "She's the one who raised you, so she might have something worth knowing."

"Yes, and while I see the Neon City Valkyries as sisters, it's not really the same feeling. They feel more like a crackhead military unit — like a forced family." Ari jerks her head to the side, gritting her teeth. "I suppose I shouldn't complain. After all, I could afford a nice motorcycle and good food. But I guess there are just some things money can't buy, and that's a real family."

Family. The only family I know is Samza, Dad, and Mom — and Mom died a long time ago during The Great Fae Exodus prior to crossing The WayGate. Mom was a fae warrior born under the Constellation of the Tiger who fought alongside other fae warriors, Valkyr berserkers, and Magnhild of the Ylfing Clan against Helayne's remaining forces of light and darkness. Mom stayed behind with Magnhild and the warriors so that the rest of us can proceed through the WayGate. "I know that feeling," I sigh. "Mom died long ago, and all I got is Sam and Dad."

"How did your mom die, if you don't mind me asking?"

I adjust my glasses, wondering the best way to answer the question, but I say, "She died a hero. Let's put it at that."

Ari returns her gaze to me and smirks. "I think it's the best way to die — to die protecting the ones you love."

I suppose that means something — I think. I try not to put a lot of thought into it. Instead, I say, "Well, I hope we can help you find out more about your real family. Hells, maybe we can be your family." I let out a weak chuckle.

"Perhaps," Ari says with an elated smile.

We proceed to the parking lot towards Sebastian's blue Subaru STI hatchback. Sebastian is waiting for us while jamming to his favorite Eurobeat tunes.

As usual, Ari takes the back seat while I ride shotgun. In less than five minutes, we arrive at Farron's Tower after zooming through the streets at breakneck speed.

We exit the vehicle and proceed through the glass double-doors, leading to the entrance of the tower. As always, the hooded bronze statue of Farron Aldbert Meteora greets us as waves crash from the water fountain behind her. We ride the elevator up, up, up and finally reach the tall wooden doors to Mr. V's office suite full of floating metal gizmos.