forty eight | the god complex

Eleven months later

Eleven months later

As soon as Damon Salvatore had returned to the wedding, the first thing that he saw was Annabelle Mikaelson repeatedly running her fingers through Dorothy's hair, while she continued to wait for the young witch to finally wake up.

Then he turned his attention over towards Bonnie Bennett, who was quietly groaning to herself, before he quickly made his way over towards her and said, "Bonnie. Bonnie, hey."

In turn, Bonnie said in a whisper, "Damon."

Damon said to her, "Hey."

It was then that Kai Parker asked him, "How dumb are you?" After Damon had turned his head to see that Kai was sitting only a mere couple of feet away from them, Kai said to him, "I deliver you a dying Bonnie Bennett on a silver platter and, whoosh, right over your head."

In a whisper, Bonnie said, "Damon." After coughing to herself, she said, "Damon."

After standing up from where he was sitting, Kai said, "Uh, translation, she's about to croak. Of course, you don't have to help her. You could just walk away. She dies of a collapsed lung... no blood on your hands. And you and Elena get to live the life you always dreamed of."

While Annabelle slowly lowered Dorothy's head onto the floor and started to look between Dorothy and her phone that was currently being blown up by text messages from a certain witch over in New Orleans, Bonnie continued to gasp to herself at the same time that Kai said to Damon, "Either way, you better act quick."

In a whisper, Damon said to Bonnie, "I'm so sorry, Bonnie."

After leaning forward and pressing his lips onto Bonnie's forehead, Damon lightly rubbed Bonnie's hands before he forced himself to stand up and then he slowly made his way out of the room.

While Annabelle stared down at one of the texts that particular witch had sent her, Annabelle's veins had come onto display, and she started to heavily shake from where she stood with her hands clenched into fists.

While Annabelle continued to heavily shake because of the text message that she had just read, Kai looked around himself with wide eyes before he asked Bonnie, "That's it? He just left you? The whole point was that this would torture him for a while. I mean, you'd think he'd at least flip a coin. Heads, he picks you. Tails he picks—"

From where he stood behind Kai with his hand raised, Damon was about to swing it towards the side of Kai's neck, only to stop when he suddenly fell onto the floor face-first.

With his eyebrows furrowed, Kai slowly turned around to see that Annabelle was silently standing behind him before he looked down at the floor to see that Damon was lying on it with his neck snapped.

Just as he was about to say something to the clearly seething Original, he stopped when Annabelle had suddenly disappeared right in front of him.

The only thing to really show that she was there to begin with were the little droplets of blood that were lying on the floor from where she once stood.