CHAPTER 24

Chapter 24: Pain

YAEL MONTANO

Late na pero hindi pa rin siya bumabalik. 

"Eldrich, hindi ka pa ba matutulog?" I shook my head on Manang Risa and took a glance on the wall clock. Wala ba siyang balak umuwi?

"I'll just wait for Solace, Manang." I heard her let out a sigh before leaving me. I'm on the sofa, clasping my hands while looking back and forth at the wall clock and the front door. 

I heard a noise coming from the gate, so I took a peek at the window curtain. It's Solace... and Dominic, Manang Risa's grandson. 

I saw how she hugged him tight and how he kissed her on her forehead before they bid goodbye to each other. 

I firmly closed the window's curtain. 

I restrained myself from clenching my fist and calmed myself as she entered the door.  

"Where did you go? Don't you know how late it is?" I asked her in my monotone voice. I don't want to sound worried. She told me she loves me, but she's with another guy at this late of night.

"Nagpahangin lang po, SIR." I calmed myself at her sarcastic answer. She's not even looking at me.

"We'll talk tomorrow. We're both tired, get some rest." She just turned her back on me and went her way. I just watched her vanish from my sight before going up to my room. 

I lay on my bed tiredly when I accidentally saw her frame on my bedside table. Kinuha ko ito at tinitigan. 

They do resemble each other. Am I really confused? Am I still stuck on you? Or I am just stuck on our memories? Memories of 'could have been'.

Help me, love. Help me define what is it I'm really feeling for her.

"I'm sorry... siguro galit ka na sa akin kasi hindi ko tinupad ang pangako ko sa 'yo." I muttered as a flashback of yesterday starts flooding in.

"I will continue my pregnancy." I shook my head aggressively as I reach for her hand and squeezed it gently. 

The test result said that it's dangerous for he to continue her pregnancy as she has heart disease. A heart transplant will only be possible if she'll give up her pregnancy.

Her eyes are firmly looking at me and it means she's made up her mind.

"L-Love... We can have a baby next time... After... after you survived... P-Please." I pleaded with her but she just shook her head. We're both crying. 

"Hindi rin naman sigurado na mabubuhay ako sa operasyon na 'yan. Wala pa ngang donor, e. I can't risk them, love." Ako naman ngayon ang umiling. 

"I can't risk y-you either... P-pl-lease... Huwag ganito, love... O-Our angels will u-understand. They w-will understand... J-Just don't l-leave me, p-please... Hmm..." My voice broke because of crying. I brought her hand on my lips and plants kisses on it. I'm almost kneeling in front of her. 

I can't lose her. She's my light, my breath, my life. 

She cupped my face and gently wipe my tears. I closed my eyes and feel her touch. 

"Alam mo naman, hindi ba? My Mom tried killing me when I was a child. A-Ayokong gawin sa kanila 'yon. K-Kahit na... kahit na hindi pa sila buo. They still have hearts... s-small hearts... beating and alive... A-And they deserve to see the world..." she softly whispers as she caressed my cheeks. Patuloy lang akong umiling. Ayoko, hindi ko kaya.