CHAPTER 12

Chapter 12: Comfort

YAZER ELDRICH MONTANO

It's never been in my vocabulary to care about someone else's problem since the day she died. I devoted my time and attention to my kids and my career. For seven years, that's the only thing that matters to me and nothing else. 

Until this woman came out of nowhere. Aside from the fact that she resembles my late wife, I don't know why she always gets on my nerves. I always speak my mind when I'm with her. Her presence is a headache especially when she opens her mouth. That's why I get used to seeing her all smiles and loud. I forgot that she's just another human being with limits.

Since we went home last night from the playground, halata na may bumabagabag sa kaniya. She's not herself, that's for sure. 

I didn't mean to see it. I was just about to tell her to come inside last night, but then, I saw her crying so much at the front gate, and I know she doesn't want to tell a single soul about it, so I let her and just went back inside. 

But her crying lasted for about an hour, kaya tapos na kaming kumain when she went inside.  

I canceled my schedule for yesterday and today because I want to spend time with my kids before my one-week shoot in Cebu for my upcoming album. After that, I have another shoot. Full ang schedule for the whole month, that's why I want to spend time with my kids as much as I can.

We're here in the pool because the kids want to swim. I can't bring them to an outdoor pool kaya nagpagawa ako rito sa bahay. Exclusive for them.

"Dad! Join us po! Let's swim!" Khaki shouted. My little princess is cute with her pink one-piece swimsuit. She's holding onto her circle-pink-colored salbabida, beside her is my son who is frowning because he was forced to join her. My son is really maturing so fast. He rarely enjoys things his age normally enjoys. 

I chuckled while watching them. "It's okay, baby. Enjoy yourself!" 

She waved her cute little hand to me and smiled at me that warm my heart. 

Nalipat ang tingin ko sa babaeng nasa gilid ng pool. Naka-lublob ang mga paa niya sa pool. Khaki is talking to her and she's just nodding her head. She's not listening or paying attention to anything. She's just absentmindedly staring at her foot while nodding non-stop even after Khaki went on to swim away. She's drowned in her train of thought. 

I sighed then stood up and went to her. I sat beside her but she didn't even bother looking at me. I also put my feet on the pool and sways it, but still, no response from her. 

We sat there in silence, just watching the kids play happily. 

"If it's too heavy already, you can always unload it or it will slowly pull you down and you will sink." I heard her heave a heavy sigh, but I didn't remove my eyes from my kids.

"Kung pwede lang. Pero mahirap," she started in a low and unsure voice. I didn't say anything and just let her. She heaves another sigh. It seems like she's really carrying a heavy load off her shoulders.

"Minsan gusto ko na lang din maging makasarili. Kasi nakakapagod na rin, e. Pero hindi ko kaya..." She kick the water. "Dahil pamilya ko sila."

"Pamilya ko sila. Kaya titiisin ko ang lahat para sa kanila... Gagawin ko ang lahat para sa kanila. Kasi mahal ko sila... Gusto ko kung aangat man ako, kasama ko sila."

I turned my gaze at her, only to see her eyes became moist. She hurriedly wipe it and forced a laugh.

"Hindi masamang magpakatotoo minsan. Kung nasasaktan ka, sabihin mong nasasaktan ka. Kung napapagod ka, sabihin mong napapagod ka. Sometimes, you need to say what you feel in order to be seen because people are too busy handling their own pain to mind yours. They're blind and deaf to hear you suffering because they're not aware that they're hurting you." I saw how she slowly lose the laugh that she has. She faced me and I saw how her all smile eyes beamed with pain.