3

In the boy's locker room, Liam was dragging the team's equipment into Coach's office before walking toward Scott, who was sat on a bench, tying his shoes. Liam gave Scott a guilty look and hesitated for a moment before he finally spoke.
"I blew it, didn't I?"

Scott shook his head, making it clear he was disappointed in Liam's lack of effort with regard to lacrosse. "You blew it off. You'd have to be trying in order to blow it."

Liam sighed, looking even more guilty as he responded. "Maybe someone else can be captain. With school work and all the other stuff we have to deal with..."

"Devenford Prep started practice three weeks before us. Riverside, two weeks. We're behind before we even start. Half our team can't even cradle the ball, let alone score."

"Why can't you stay captain?"

Scott shrugged before he stood up, walking over so that he could look Liam in the eyes.

"I'm graduating." Scott sighed.
"You know, I'm not gonna be here next year. Somebody's gotta step up and fill in the gap. It should be you."

"Yeah? Well, Coach doesn't want me. I don't know if the team even wants me."

Scott, now even more determined to make his case, taking great care to make it obvious that he wasn't only talking about the lacrosse captainship, but also his intent to have Liam lead the pack once he started college as well.

"It's not up to them! It's up to you. You have to want this, because they're gonna keep coming at you. They're gonna keep knocking you down. And you have to get back up. You have to show them that you can get back up. Leaders don't run!"

Just then, the two were startled by the sound of slow applause as an impressed Coach Finstock, who seemed to have overheard their argument, walked into the locker room.
He looked over at Scott and smiled, visibly proud of Scott's enthusiasm.
"Now that's what I'm talkin' about, McCall!"

Coach's smile took on a somewhat scary tone as he turned his attention to Liam.
"And you? I'm looking forward to crushing that little adorable baby-face of yours."

Liam sighs deeply, though he seemed to be taking Scott's words to heart.
"Well, I'm outta here." He shrugged, grabbing his school back off the floor before walking in the hallway with a set of foot steps following behind.

"Liam," Scott called out, grabbing Liam's shoulder from behind in order to stop him. "Wait."

"I understood what you meant, I don't need you to try and clarify." Liam sighed again, turning to face him.

"No, that's not—" Scott wiped his hands though the air as if to swat his words away.
"Thea, she's coming back to Beacon Hills. She doesn't exactly have any other friends and—"

"Yeah, I'll look out for her in class." He nodded with a forced, closed-mouth smile.

Scott shot him a serious look, grabbing his hand before he could walk away. "Liam, I meant it. She has no friends and is sorely lacking in the family department, she needs a pack."

"I mean it too." He smiled, more sincere than the last. "I promise."

»»————- ☾★☽ ————-««