CH 22 || Out of Bounds

Start from the beginning

I snorted. "For what?"

"Head-start. Twenty-five now."

My jaw dropped. "Hey, that's mean! One minute. After I leave."

He scoffed. "Weren't you the one bragging about your skills before? Forty tops."

Cody's head kept moving back and forth between us as if he was watching a tennis match.

"Oh? Mr. professional snowboarder must be slower than I thought."

Killian's eyes narrowed at the challenge. "Fifty, but I will start counting now."

I smiled to myself. The next ski lift was four slopes down. That wasn't too far. Not my fault if he'd overestimated himself. I pointed my ski pole at Cody. "Don't let him cheat!"

"Forty-five. Time's ticking," Killian said and leaned back on his elbows.

I didn't need to be told twice. I kicked off and shifted forward, trying to accelerate quickly. I got this. I was good at skiing. I would wipe that arrogant smirk off his stupidly handsome face.

The wind howled in my ears as I sped down the next two slopes before I risked a glance back—and nearly stumbled.

Killian stood at the top of the hill, opposite and slightly above the trail winding through the forest that connected the slopes with each other. It should be Killian at least. Unless there were other snowboarders running around in dark-gray pants coupled with forest-green jackets.

My pulse picked up. How had he caught up to me so quickly? That was nearly impossible unless he took a shortcut... My eyes snapped up to the thick forest right above him.

That—that cheater! He'd gone out of bounds!

I wanted to shake my hands at him. He was just showing off!

He slid forward and turned his board so that it was dipping over the edge, waiting, taunting me. As if he had all the time in the world.

Well, shit.

I turned back and took off again, cursing at myself. I'd stopped just before the flat area and now I had to build up speed again. Killian was much heavier so he'd have an advantage.

I crouched and went straight downhill. When the line evened out I risked another look back and nearly lost my footing.

He was bent low over his board, still a bit behind, but quickly gaining on me and already that much faster. Shit.

Suddenly, he straightened up and shouted, "Tay!"

I stared at him. Was he rubbing it in now?

"No, ahead of you!"

My heart dropped. I whipped around, just in time to see a big pine tree rushing at me but it was too late. I tried to turn, but my ski slipped and in the next second I tumbled over the side and into a huge pile of fresh snow.

A second later Killian bent over me. "You okay?"

My eyes stayed fixed on the bright blue peeking through the canopy above me. "I'm fine," I said and brushed the snow out of my face.

He pulled up his goggles and gave me a thorough once-over. "You sure?"

"I think I lost one of my ski." I remained perfectly still. The fluffy snow made for a nice bed. Nice and comfortable. Maybe he would just keep going? A girl could hope...

A cough rang out that suspiciously sounded like a suppressed laugh. "Are you getting up anytime soon? Or do you need more time to nurture your wounded pride?" I could literally hear the smile in his voice. And of course, he had to point it out. Again.