S E V E N T E E N

Louis is stunned after Harry has told his side of the story. He tells him about the diary he found, the vase he broke, basically every detail he could think of.

Harry notices as he speaks that several emotions are shown on Louis' face. In the end, however, Louis seems partly relieved - something that Harry doesn't really understand - and also proud...

Sometimes during their walk, a few rays of sun slips through the clouds, warming their faces. It almost seems like the longer they walk and the more things they clear up, the more the sun shows its face.

They then reach the topic of their date in Greece and the text Harry received during dinner from Sam. They walk through every little feeling they experienced and Harry has to admit that it's quite liberating and relief washes over him the more they talk things through.

"You seemed mad," Harry notes as he runs a hand through his hair, looking into Louis' ocean blue eyes. Every time he stares into those gorgeous orbs, it reminds him of the beach in Greece. It brings back good memories, but also bad memories because it reminds him of a version of himself that he doesn't want to relive ever again.

Harry knows that it sometimes is okay to lose yourself, especially when a huge hindrance has come into your life. The thing Harry hates most, however, is knowing that what he was doing was wrong, but not caring about it. He always considered himself a man that treats people with kindness. A man that was a loyal and trustworthy friend. That part of him faded on that trip.

He snaps back to reality when Louis replies to his remark. "Yeah, it did bug me, to be honest... We were having this amazing day and we were having so much fun. I feel like that during that trip, we really got to know each other you know?" He sighs. "And then he had to come and ruin everything after everything we discussed."

Harry's head bobs up and down as he agrees with Louis' words. "Yeah, you're right. Sam has had a hold over me for too long, but I think that finally, I'm ready to move on. Last night, Lou, it was an eye-opener. I mean, my eyes were already partly opened - I was squinting or whatever - but now, I can see everything so clearly. I see how he fucked me up and how he changed me as a person... I'm not going to let him do that ever again."

"I know," Louis says with a soft voice, his kind eyes holding no judgment as he looks at Harry. "He was just very controlling I think."

Harry huffs. "Yes, definitely, I barely spoke to the guys because of Sam. He kept on saying that he would entertain me and that I didn't need my friends, and I just kept running along with it. I was so scared of him, that I didn't dare to go against his orders. Fuck, I only spoke to the boys once during two years over face time. I seriously don't know how I got him to convince me to go on holiday with us." He chuckles.

Harry pauses and looks up at Louis again. "But, Lou, I'm still scared of him. Or well, I was. I hope I never have to see him again." He looks to the ground. "I don't want to repeat my old mistakes, so I'm going to tell you the truth..." After a beat, he continues, saying, "I knew he was on the plane."

Louis seems slightly stunned when Harry's eyes capture the man's face, but not mad. It gives Harry the courage to continue. "I hid from him because I was scared to face him and I didn't want to tell you because I was embarrassed, but I think it's better if we start with a clean slate." He smiles.

Louis grins back. "Thanks for telling me, and honestly Haz, I get it. I can also see now how bad he fucked you up and that it takes some time to move past that."

Harry smiles. "I appreciate that. I'm just glad I'm away from him, away from that place, and that I can start working on myself."

Louis nods his head encouragingly, but suddenly the happy expression that was shown on his face fades away. "If we are being honest, I have to be honest too."

Harry is confused but nods, showing that he supports Louis and whatever he wants to tell him.

Louis looks up to the sky and sighs. His feet stop moving and he comes to a halt, burying his hands into his face.

Harry is surprised, but also immediately stops walking and patiently waits until Louis says something.

"God, Haz, there was another reason why I was mad after that date. I-I"

Harry says nothing and just waits for Louis to continue.

Louis bites his lip, still looking up in the air, not meeting Harry's eyes. "Deep down I wished that that date was real... I-I really like you and during that date, I started realizing that." He finally meets Harry's eyes and Harry sees the desperation in his eyes. "I knew I could treat you so much better, not as much as you deserve, god you deserve the world, but maybe one day good enough."

He sucks in a deep breath. "I know that you aren't looking for a relationship right now, so please don't feel obligated to say anything. I just wanted you to know, because I need to be honest and brave too. Besides, you deserve someone that is prepared to take a risk for you. I just want you to know, that I will be waiting if you ever want to go on a date in the future when you're ready for it."

Harry's lips tug up into a shy smile and his cheeks have a rose-colored shade dusted on them. "I would like that. I think that it might be good if I go to my mom's and take some time off, but if you want we could hang out until then? Just take things slow?" He rambles, suddenly nervous. "Because I also have a crush on you and I just need time, but if you're prepared to wait for me..." He trails off.

"I am," Louis assures. "I am. I would love that."

Harry grins widely and can't stop himself from hugging Louis close to his chest. They stand like that, in the middle of the forest, until Clifford comes running toward them, barking happily and demanding hugs.

-

After their walk, they go to a small café to have a quick - and quite belated - lunch. They talk about anything and everything as they sip their teas and eat.

Louis hugs him when Harry has to head over to the station to catch his train to Holmes Chapel and checks once again if Harry can go without the bag that is still waiting at Louis' house.

Harry assures that he has everything he needs at his childhood home and that he will pick it up when he gets back.

They hug again as they part ways and as Harry is finally on the train, watching the English landscapes flash past him, he knows that there is a bright future waiting for them.

Sure, they will have their ups and downs, but Harry knows that Louis will be there to support him. Harry just hopes that he can also be someone Louis needs, someone that really cares for the sweet boy.

He hopes that they can start dating together. He hopes that they can hang out with the boys together. He hopes that he might be able to sleep in bed with Louis again and hug him closely in their sleep. He hopes that he might be ready for a relationship at one point and can ask Louis to be his boyfriend.

He just hopes.

-

There is only one more chapter left and then two epilogues! I'm sad that we're nearing the end, but I will be writing a lot more books in the future, so stay tuned!

And if you want to be updated when I do start a new book, make sure to follow me!

Thanks for reading xx