Macau Tay Side Story: Chapter 5 - Part 1

The first ultrasound showed that the baby's heart was beating. It was strange to see the pulsating thing on the screen. I was relieved that there wasn't much more to see yet. There wasn't a baby to speak of yet. I'd worried a little person would stare right back at me. It made things easier. As long as the kid looked like an undistinguishable black-and-white blob in the ultrasound and I didn't feel it, I could pretend I wasn't really pregnant—except for the few amendments to my lifestyle. In the week following my appointment, Lily surprised me when she showed up in the Famiglia gym. She hadn't worked out these last four weeks, probably because of the pregnancy. She'd mentioned something about some light bleeding. Like me she wore yoga tights and a loose-fitting yoga tank, not that either of us showed yet. It was actually quite informative to see her since she was a week ahead of me, and always gave me a glimpse of what lay ahead. "Hey stranger," I called across the yoga room as Lily slid her wool socks off and padded toward me barefoot. We hugged before we both sank down on the round yoga pillows. The yoga lesson wasn't about to begin for another fifteen minutes, but I was always early to prepare everything. "How are you?" I asked. "Great," Lily said, brushing her palm across her belly. It was something I'd often seen with pregnant people, especially if you asked them about their well-being. As if they always answered for two. "Are you going to do yoga today?" She nodded with a smile. "My doc cleared me for exercise. I want to keep doing something for my health." Lily had been a constant presence in my yoga classes from the very first day. Pete had been in the beginning but he preferred my Pilates classes so he switched to them later. "Perfect," I said with a smile. Lily and I didn't see each other as often as Pete and I did so I'd missed our weekly yoga sessions and chats afterward. "But I might not be able to do everything. I have to be mindful of what my pregnancy allows. I'll read up on it so I'll know what I can't do." "Don't worry. I'll give you alternative yoga exercises in case it's necessary or you don't feel comfortable," I said, touching her leg. Uncertainty crossed Lily's face. "Are you sure you want to do that?" It sounded like "are you sure you can do it?" to me, but I pushed my annoyance down. "Pregnancy adapted workouts were part of my training. Trust me, I can make sure you and your kid are safe." It wasn't even a lie. Knowing that many mob people popped out one baby after the other, I'd made sure to be versed in the special needs of pregnant people recovering from birth. I didn't mention that I'd read up on the matter again to make sure I kept the secret passenger in my belly safe until its delivery to Pete and Vegas. For a moment, I considered telling Lily. But Lily, far more than Pete, had completely lost herself in being a parent. Sometimes it seemed there was hardly any room for anything else anymore. It was something that I'd always considered the most deterrent thing about becoming a parent—losing yourself and everything you used to be, as if by giving birth you lost every right to still have your own needs and interests. Lily beamed at me. "Thank you!" Then her expression turned sheepish. "I'm sorry if I'm being annoying. I'm just so excited about my pregnancy. I can't wait for Sara to have siblings." My eyes widened. "Siblings? Are you preggers with more than one?" "Oh no." Lily giggled, again caressing her flat belly. For some reason the motion made me unreasonably angry, which was completely irrational. "But Nop and I want at least three kids." I nodded, smiling tightly. I'd never minded Lily's exuberance when it came to being a parent but for some reason, I had trouble being around it now that I was pregnant myself. Yet, I was determined not to vent my irrational feelings on Lily. She had every right to be happy and I wouldn't ruin it.

***

Macau and I sat at the bar in our kitchen, drinking coffee and chatting about Macau's plans to head out with Growl today to seek out a hiding place of the MC giving them trouble. "Do you really have to join Growl?" I asked. Macau's eyebrows rose. I wasn't someone who clucked. I was more like the mother hen who kicked her eggs out of her nest. With Macau I'd grown used to his thrill-seeking ways. "Are you worried?" I was, and more than that, I was terrified. Macau's life was dangerous and while I'd worried in the past as well, I'd usually kept my feelings to myself, knowing that he could handle things. I glared in response. Macau grinned and wrapped an arm around my hip, dragging me closer so he could kiss me. "All these hormones are turning you into a softy." It was the first time we'd mentioned the pregnancy since my doctor's appointment in my seventh week, which was more than four weeks ago. And even on that day our conversation about the pregnancy had only consisted of "Everything okay?" from Macau and a curt nod from me. We'd kept living our life, minus the club visits and drunk escapades. "Just be careful," I pressed out. Macau searched my eyes as he did so often recently, then nodded. "You know me." "I do, which is why I want you to be careful. Don't leave me alone to deal with this mess." Macau smiled, but there was something dark behind it. "Vegas and Pete will deal with the mess, babe." I didn't get the chance to ask what that was supposed to mean because our bell rang. "Pete," I said, because vigilance had taken over Macau's face. "He made another appointment with his OB/GYN today." Macau stood and allowed him to take the elevator up to the penthouse. Pete probably knew the code from Vegas but unlike him, he always rang the bell like any decent human being would. Macau waited for him with his back to me. Pete smiled hesitantly as he stepped in. "Ready?" "Sure," I said. I'd tried to avoid another examination for as long as possible, but Pete had insisted it was time for another checkup now that I was twelve weeks along. I kissed Macau and he stroked my back in an almost lingering way. Then I pulled back and followed Pete.

***

At first, I considered not looking at the ultrasound screen but then curiosity got the better of me. The moment my eyes registered the small baby on the screen, I wished I hadn't given in. This wasn't a mere blob anymore. The doc explained what we saw and marked the feet, head, hands... a complete human being in my belly. I looked away. Pete met my gaze, his eyes alight with joy then slowly he sobered. He reached for my hand and squeezed. I was glad he didn't say anything. I stared at the painting on the wall, some kind of abstract art, because Pete's expression tightened my chest. The doc kept blabbering about how things looked good. I tried to block her out but it was impossible. I practically leaped off the examination table when she was done and got dressed, desperate to leave as soon as possible. When I left the changing area, the doc held out a string of photos. Ultrasound photos of the baby. I stared at them. Pete gingerly took them from the doc before he touched my arm and led me outside. We didn't talk until we were in the elevator. "Do you want to have them?" I shook my head. "You and Vegas should have them." Pete slid them into his bag. "Are you still okay with Vegas and me adopting the baby?" "Of course," I said. "That's not it... I just want to pretend nothing changed, that I'm not pregnant, but days like today make that really hard." Pete gave me an understanding look. "Maybe try to make peace with it. See it as an exercise you need to get through. It won't be long until it'll be even harder to pretend you aren't pregnant." "My belly's still flat, hallelujah," I muttered, trying to resort to my usual sarcasm that seemed out of reach so often recently. "It's not just your growing belly," Pete said quietly as we approached the car with our bodyguards. "You'll feel the baby eventually." I couldn't imagine feeling something inside of me like that. Weren't there people who didn't realize they were pregnant until labor started and a baby plopped out of them? They couldn't have felt the baby inside of them, so maybe I would be lucky too.