Chapter 58 - Obscure Guild (13)

Začať od začiatku

But, while trade was their strong point, the Dark Faction saw it as a weakness. They hadn't diversified their economy enough. The Second War arrived, and the Dark Faction cut most of the guild's trade routes.

During the first decade, Orbarium took advantage of its reserves, but the war waged on. The city's economy wasn't diversified enough to survive such a long blockade. Twenty years later, Orbarium had exhausted its resources.

With the Cusred, the Dark Faction attacked and seized Orbarium's capital, bringing a siege over the entire guild. It didn't even bother feeding the citizens who were sick and starving. Most of the southwest had fallen to the faction in a few months.

However, the other guilds managed to fight back the Dark Faction in the eastern and northern parts of Obarium and claimed the territories for their own. Some survivors also preferred staying independent and joined the Wandering Lands' alliance. At the end of the Second War, only about a fifth of the guild's citizens had survived.

Ejiro, who had listened attentively to his master's lesson, shook his head. "The Obscure Guild never cared about anyone. The rulers are all a part of the Dark Faction's cult."

Gabriella wiped her eyes. She understood Seth wanted her to see the Obscure Guild for what it was and not blindly remember it as the haven where she was born.

Seth and Ejiro turned their backs and walked toward the vehicle to find Luo and Jenna.

The three teenagers were seated on the hard, concrete ground. Aaron looked at the brimming sunset. "Let's go back to the West DA, Isaac, Gabriella. We need a break after all that happened. We even killed Rico and...

"...him." He glanced at Theodoric.

"Wait, Aaron," Isaac interrupted him. "I need to tell you this: I don't think your brother is dead."

"What?!"

"I couldn't confirm it, but now I'm sure. What we killed didn't have a soul. I've never seen that before."

Aaron looked at Isaac. "But, how is that possible?!"

Isaac opened his mouth, but then a distinct, burning smell interfered with his thoughts. He looked around.

"Dad?!" Gabriella wailed.

Her father, Theodoric, a high vampire, had disintegrated to ashes. "NO!!!" she screamed as they dissipated into the sky.

Far away, Ejiro noticed this. If it weren't for Gabriella, he would have laughed. "I guess he couldn't fully resist the sunlight after all."

After a long minute, Isaac spoke again, "Aaron. From his death -as well as from the other vampire's death- I can feel the souls he consumed that got freed. There's also his soul lingering around. Normal humans like your brother should've had a single soul, but there was truly nothing. With experience, I can even feel people's souls when they are still breathing.

"I'm sure of it: what we killed... it wasn't your brother."

Aaron stayed silent and observed the sky, seeking a hint, but there was no way of knowing the truth about his distant younger brother.

A few seconds later, Gabriella asked Isaac not to eat her father's soul.

To which Isaac responded as he gently wrapped his arm around her, "Sure, Gab. But I'll take the other ones. I can't pass up this opportunity to grow my powers."

...

"We're done here. Let's go," Seth said over at the armoured vehicle.

"Go where?" asked Luo respectfully.

"We're going back to the West DA. Our job here was to gather intel and kill this vampire. We've done both. You two can follow us if you want. I'll repay you at the DA for helping us."

Jenna examined him. "Sure. What's the evidence, if you don't mind me asking?"

Ejiro Sani grinned, proud of his accomplishment. "An invaluable map- the most detailed map of the Obscure Guild anyone has ever gotten their hands on."

"Then I might have something that could steal your spotlight." Jenna brought her large map out of the car and showed it to Seth and Ejiro.

"These are secret passages hidden throughout the guild," she clarified.

Seth looked closer. "Does it say how we can get out of the guild?"

"Yes. We trapped one of the Five Cursed right over here. I propose we take him with us and leave through this blue trail." Jenna skated her finger across the blue trail on the map. It marked an underground route which left the Obscure Guild through the eastern part and ended at the contested territory between the West DA and the Obscure Guild.

Author's note: You may have noticed that the Obscure Guild part is the longest one so far. There are still many chapters left before it ends, though. I may split this into different parts; it depends on how I do the pacing. See you next week!