Chapter 11 - Payment

Start from the beginning

When his lips had connected with mine, the non-existent butterflies in my stomach fluttered to life. The hairs to the back of my neck tingled at his caress. In that one moment, I felt like I could be loved that everything my father had told me was wrong. His gentle touch and passion made me rethink all my father had said to me.

The way Gerard held me alone made me feel like there was something potent ... something worthwhile. Just the thought of him and our proximity that night caused my body to shiver in anticipation and delight. It was overwhelming, the effect he had on me.

I felt my skin he up a few degrees and it was not as a result of the hot sun that commanded the open sky.

Locket's bar came into view. It was where my father spent most of his time since my mother left us a few years ago. Briefly I glanced at the vehicles parked in its lot and sure enough, there was my father's old silver Datsun. However what caught my eye was the black Range Rover Pickup that was sat beside it. I knew that vehicle well considering the owner was all the thought my mind could summon.

I ducked left heading into the bar as my curious reigned free at the moment. It had become the norm coming here but it was to collect my father when Trip, the bar manager, found that he'd had more than enough to drink.

Upon entering the bar, I held my arms under my bustline looking left tp right for my father. When I couldn't find him, I walked in further inside recognizing the black stetson that I began to associate with its arrogant owner. I was about to go over say hi and apologize for ... I didn't know what I was going to apologize for ... I just wanted to go over there be near him after our kiss but it seemed that he was too taken with sharing a more meaningful kiss with the brunette at the bar who sat beside him.

I guess he wasn't interested in the idea of me as I finally came around to thinking. I can't believe that I even thought for a second that Gerard would actually like me. Come on, let's face it he's Gerard and you're not his type.

I couldn't help but feel anger bubble within me mostly at myself for being to gullible and for letting him toy with my feelings. Damn it you shouldn't have let him be so forward with you and furthermore, definitely not kiss you.

I watched as he crossed the floor to a table of men playing poker one of whom I recognized as my father. Maybe they were buddies? Maybe that's why Gerard even gave you the light of day?

Gerard sat with his back to me. The one of them who'd previously been shuffling the deck began to distribute it to the table of six.

I stormed over midway to their table about to get my father when they began to exchange a few words. I swiftly ducked behind one of columns when my father began to speak. Now I was close enough to hear what they were saying.

"Jones, you're broke. You don't have a damn buck to you're name. How will you pay?" The dealer chuckled.

"Uh ... um ... how about I up the ante ... My daughter, Whoever wins ... can have her."

I got the sickest feeling at the pit of my stomach at my father's declaration. What ... Who ... How could you?

"Now, this game just got interest," One of the men cheered. Pervert!

"Who's your daughter?" I heard a distinctive voice which I pinned as Gerard's.

"Reilly Jones," My father smiled cheekily.

I knew what was coming but it still did not stop a tear from escaping my eyes at his words. How could he use me as payment? Did he really hate me that much?

To add insult to injury, Gerard leant forward spraying the contents of the drink that he'd taken a swig of earlier as though he found humor in my father's words.

Hightailing the heck out of there was not invented yet. In the blink of an eye, I was running up the sidewalk wiping the tears that wouldn't stop falling. Adrenaline kicked in enabling me to sprint stopping occasionally for ongoing traffic until I made it home.

I was out of breathe but that didn't deter me from bursting through the door and skipping steps along the stairway to get to my room. I found my suitcase which had been long tucked away under my bed and began stuffing clothes, shoes and other miscellaneous items in it. I paused looking at a picture at my mother.

Finally, when I reached downstairs flung the door open running when I ran into something solid before I recognized that a pair of silver eyes were staring down at me. It took a few minutes to register that it was Gerard and by then I screamed shortly before his hand covered my mouth.

- - - • END of Chap Eleven- - -