Chapter 44. The Woodland Oasis

On to the next one!~

                                                                      -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-

"Wait, Sensei!" I shouted, running after him and leaving Naruto on his own.

Firmly grasping my teacher's forearm, we both came to a stop. Kakashi turned, a hint of impatience echoing in his expression.

"I need to know how Sasuke is doing."

He turned to face me completely before reaching up to rub his temples.

"Better but I can't stay away for too long. There was another attempt to get to Sasuke. Unfortunately, a few people were killed trying to protect him but at least we now know the identity of a spy who's likely working for Orochimaru."

My mind wandered to the orange-haired rogue leaf ninja I'd encountered during the secondary exam of the exams, wondering if perhaps this was who  the culprit was or if he was involved in some way or another. 

"It was Kabuto, the contender that dropped out from the exams right before the preliminaries had begun."

I blinked.

"That actually doesn't surprise me at all. He randomly shows up to help team 7 and seemed all too chummy with my teammates, especially Naruto. He gave me a bad feeling the moment he set his sights on them."

"It's possible he was likely gathering information about the four of you, and now that you've revealed your heritage, it's quite possible Orochimaru may take interest in you as well."

"What would you like me to do, Sensei? I could help guard Sasuke," I suggested, ignoring his mentions of Orochimaru attention landing on me.

"No, for now I want you to do like Naruto and work on your training. The Anbu black ops and I will handle Sasuke. Your opponent is from the Yuki Clan, whom specializes in the ice style. Do you remember Haku's jutsu from when we fought against Zabuza at the bridge? That's what you'll be facing. This jutsu varies among its users as to how it manifests, but its strength is renowned. You only have a month to learn how to combat this. It won't be easy. She's young yet so there's still a chance you can come out on top, but unless you've learned something new that can be useful in your fight, you may have a heck of a time."

"I'm already aware that ice style is resistant to water attacks and some weaker forms of fire," I said matter of fact.

"I know you're worried about matching up against her. Though her abilities are challenging, you're quick on your feet and good at putting together a plan on the fly. But you're also stubborn and sometimes too reckless for your own good."

My knitted together eyebrows gave away my intrusive thoughts easy, Kakashi realizing quickly the weight they carried over me. He sighed, his stern features relaxing before he rested a hand on my shoulder.

"There's also a few things she doesn't have that you do."

Cocking my head to the side in curiosity, I waited for his answer.

"The will to never give up and the strength of your Uchiha blood... And I know for a fact that you'd do anything for the ones you love, even if it killed you. I admire that in you."

I felt his reassuring words fill me with such awe, soothing the anxiety that mustered to the surface. I smiled gently, wondering if this was truly what Kakashi thought of me.

"Chin up, kid. You'll do just fine," he said, beginning to turn away.

"But Sensei, I have to ask. You found a teacher for Naruto but who will be in charge of my training?" I questioned, curiosity and concern both entangled throughout my words.