Chapter 22. Sayako of the Sand

It took me a while to write the last chapter because I've been out travelling, looking for inspiration and meaning to life. I feel so disconnected from everything. Trying to find peace in my own solitude I suppose.

Anyways, here is chapter 22! Last we saw, our injured girl doesn't remember who she is!~

                                                                .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I tried to blink away the tears that rose to my eyes. I began to sob lightly, my chest beginning to ache the longer and harder I ried. The older lady rested a hand on my shoulder to comfort me.

"Do you know who I am or about what happened to me?" I asked hopeful.

The older lady looked hesitant for a moment before opening her mouth.

"I don't know who you are unfortunately. Yoshito found you near his house on the riverbank with fatal injuries. He brought you here to be healed and taken care of. That's as much as we know about you."

"What kind of fatal injuries?" I asked.

"You were stabbed from behind through the chest. You took damage to your lung but I was able to heal most of the internal wounds and stop it from collapsing. The laceration on the right side of your face will probably scar but there was fortunately no damage to your actual eye."

(Her face is wrapped like this)

"I don't understand."

"It's alright. Things hopefully will come back to you soon. Don't push yourself. You'll just end up stressing yourself out further and keep your body from healing properly. Just let me know if there is anything you do remember. You're not alone. We'll do this together," she said, giving my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

I gave her a weak smile, feeling slightly comforted by her words. She could heal my physical wounds, but there was only so much she could do for the mind before I had to do it all on my own. That much I understood at least.

I sighed.

"Are you hungry? I can fix you up something light to eat."

"No, I'm not really hungry," I said quietly.

"I'll bring you something to snack on in a bit then. We need to get your strength back up so you can heal. My name's Kana by the way and the little one drawing up a storm on the floor is my granddaughter Suzi. She's been keeping you company for the last few days."

"Kana," I said engraining the name into my mind, "Thank you for what you've done for me, Kana. And thank you Suzi for keeping me company."

I tried to sound grateful. In truth, I was. But the loss of my memories had me feeling empty and not quite whole.

"If you need anything, just tell Suzi and she'll come get me. I'll be doing my rounds so I can bring you some food in a short while," she said as she exited the room.