Chapter Nine: A New Friend

CHAPTER NINE: A NEW FRIEND

I stopped dead in my tracks, holding the railing with all my might to prevent myself from rolling down the stairs. I took a deep breath and recovered as fast as I could...which wasn't very fast.

"What...was...that?" Alice muttered in my ear, trying to keep everyone from noticing.

"Erm, nothing, I just slipped," I whispered.

Esme smiled brightly. "Ayesha, come meet the newest Cullen!" She winked, indicating that she was also a vampire.

"Hey there darlin'." A southern drawl... Oh no. She sniffed the air, frowning slightly then lifting a delicate eyebrow. "Hmm. Never actually met a werewolf before."

I laughed, choking on my spit. I could hardly breathe. It wasn't only the cold smell that was intoxicating, it was the vanilla that came with it.

"I couldn't say the same about you," I replied stiffly.

She squinted her eyes, as if to look harder. "Have I ever seen ya before?"

"Maybe... Have you been in Forks long?" I placed a hand on my hip, trying to seem casual.

"Just a couple days," she said, a smirk crawling on to her face.

She knew. She knew about the dream! Did she put it there? I mean anything is possible now that I know there's vamps and werewolves ... Right?

"Oh."

She held out her hand. "I'm Pepper by the way," she said with a wink.

"Ayesha," I replied, shaking her hand, feeling the cold spread over my fingers. "Nice to meet you."

"Y'all as well!" Pepper said, turning to everyone. "Now Emmett, would you be a dear and show me my room?"

Her soft caramel eyes melted in to Emmett's as she backed up in to him and looked up, pressing herself against him. Emmett responded with a smile. Ick.

"Sure!" He bounded up the stairs with her--wait, can a guy that buff really bound up the stairs?

I internally shook my head and looked over at Rosalie. If looks could kill, half of the town would be rolling around of the ground, sputtering and squirting out blood... I'm sure she'd give everyone violent deaths....

I could feel the awkwardness seeping in to the room heard Carlisle clear his throat.

I walked over and sat down on one of the fluffy couches.

"So Alice and Edward have powers ... Does anyone else?" I asked, breaking the silence. In the back of my head, I pictured a little animate gorilla taking a large red hammer and breaking a sound barrier. Ayesha! Snap out of it!

"Well Jasper does too," Rosalie cut in.

"He can change people's emotions," Esme continued.

"Nobody else?" I said. I actually thought there'd be more...

Carlisle wrapped his arms around Esme. "Esme happens to have one of the most caring half-dead hearts in the whole world," he said, engulfing her in a hug and planting a kiss on her forehead.

"I love you honey," Esme replied, kissing him back.

Well, that got awkward quickly....

Rosalie tugged on my sleeve. "Come for a walk with me."

I followed her without a word. She opened the door that led outside in to the forest. I could tell by the way her hands twitched that she wanted to go fast. And believe me, I did too. I wanted to shift, and run so far away from these vampires and...Pepper. What was so mysterious about that girl? I could tell she almost seemed like she was out to get me or something...and Rosalie.