Chapter 22- Secrets

I couldn't believe my eyes... on the back of the Toruk sat Esnä with a wild grin on his face. I looked towards Yewla who was understandably even more confused than I was. "Come on!" I yelled to him.

We ran out to the clearing, Esnä spotted us and waved childishly.

I rolled my eyes and walked up to him as he held out his hand to help someone else off the back of the Toruk. It was a handsome man with a bow strapped to his back.

"Esnä? What are you- what is this?" I asked gesturing to the Toruk.

"An old friend." He replied. He was so nonchalant about it. "What are you doing in these waters?" He asked.

"I'm looking for a healer, my wife is sick... Who is this?" I gestured towards the man who stood beside him.

Esnä looked at me like I was crazy and then looked at Yewla. "Shouldn't I be asking you that question?"

"Oh right, this is Yewla. He's Awa'iti's brother." I said without giving anymore context.

"Okay... this is Nawkey, he's from the Tipani clan."

"Oh wow the Tipani clan... that's impressive." I murmured as I stared at the massive toruk in front of me.

"This is Sa'nok." Esnä said.

"Sa'nok... you're riding a Toruk Esnä... you're Toruk Makto." I said with an impressed voice, but deep down inside I felt a little bit upset.

Esnä feigned embarrassment, but he was clearly eating up all of the attention.
"Yes." He smiled brightly and greeted Yewla by trying to hug him. Yewla smacked Esnä away and stuck out his tongue. He may have been older than Awa'iti but he was still a child at heart.

"So you were looking for a healer, who?" Esnä asked.

"A human scientist friend of mine, last I heard he was here."

"There are no human scientists here anymore." One of the Metkayina spoke up.

"Anymore?" I replied.

"Yes, at one point one of them did come here to live with us, but that was a while ago."

"I see.." I whispered solemnly.

Esnä stared at me with confusion and then laughed. "You don't need a human scientist to heal your wife, you have me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Esnä POV

"Quickly!" Jake yelled as he and the little one jumped off of his Ikran.

I slid off of So' on and helped Nawkey down, we ran towards the hut that Jake disappeared into. Inside was the two women I saw in my vision, the pregnant woman looked like she was one breath away from death. I quickly knelt over her and assessed her illness. It was a human disease, one I had seen before. I smiled in relief and looked at Jake's worried face. "She will be okay, I can heal this."

Instantly all of the heaviness and tension from his body left, and the miasma in the room cleared.

I touched at the soil on the ground and began to grow an ailment for the disease.

"What does she have?" Yewla asked curiously.

I picked up the plant and began crushing the roof between my teeth. "The common flu."

Jake looked at me as if he had something to ask, but for the sake of his wife's condition he kept his mouth shut.

I took the root and placed it inside of hot water, then fed her the tea. Almost immediately, color returned to her face and her breathing strengthened.