Chapter 9 - Tree of Souls

"Move faster!" Tsu'tey yelled as he chased me through the forest.

"I do not get how this makes me a better fighter!" I yelled through wheezes, the soft mossy ground absorbed my feet with every step I took, so it was nearly impossible to run.

"Who said it did? I just find it fun to watch!" He joked. "Your anguish sustains me!" His voice echoed off of the rocks.

"Har har.. this is why YOU ARE SINGLE!" I shouted angrily as I hopped into a tree.

"Hey! That is a personal decision, plenty of women would love to have me!" He yelled, following quickly after.

"Whatever you need to tell yourself!" I cackled. While distracted I tripped and fell out of the tree knocking the air out of my lungs. I could hear Tsu'tey laughing hysterically in the background.

"Ass."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So these keys, where are they located?" I asked Neytiri, as she sat us down in her home.

"It is said that the keys, or harmonics, are found under certain trees of souls. The ones that are connected closest to the core of Eywa."

"In other words the core of this moon." Jake said chiming in.

"Moon..?" I asked curiously.

"Yes, that's what Pandora is, it's a moon orbiting the gas giant Polyphemus, you see that big round thing in the sky?" He said as he pointed out the window.

"The eye?"

"S-sure.." Jake struggled to keep his emotions in check.

"Do not try and use your skywalker tongue and expect us to understand." I grumbled.

"Ahh, you're right,"

Tsu'tey snorted at Jake Sully's depressed face, but soon straightened when Neytiri glared him down.

"We do not know the locations of the trees though, there are hundreds of soul trees on Eywa." She sighed.

"So how do we find them?" I said nervously.

"Well that is tough to say, the sky people can track them easily with their technology being able to locate the energy. Our only hope is if you can read those ancient texts."

"Well what are we waiting for, let us go find them." I said anxiously.

"All of our history still remains at home tree.." Neytiri said with sadness in her eyes, "We have yet to retrieve it. The memories are painful, and we are still burying the dead."

I did not know Neytiri that well, but it did not take a genius to realize she lost someone dear to her. They told us it had been a year since the attack and they were still finding bodies to bury, how tragic.