CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Darkness fell throughout the woods as a thick blanket. Princess Seattel frantically looked out at the river, finally reaching its rushing side. The rain had calmed, although thunder was still booming overhead. If she felt cold, she showed no signs. "There!" Her voice pierced through my thoughts and I followed her finger until it landed on an amazing sight.

Sir Coulee, coughing, was struggling to his feet by a nearby shore, dragging Olympia's drenched form. He pulled on her dress, now clean of all the mud. The heiress next to me let out a sob and ran down the shore, tripping and slipping over the rocks in her hurry to reach her friend's side. I followed, arms ready to catch the Princess if she fell.

The knight had collapsed next to the farm girl, spitting out liquid and gasping for breath. His clothes stuck tightly to his body as he shivered from the cold, icy water. His breaths came out in the form of a white cloud and as I looked closer, I could not see one coming from the girl next to him.

"Olympia!" The Princess landed on her knees next to the maiden and rolled her over so that her head was to the side. Water pooled out from her mouth, but still no breath was taken in. I assisted Princess Seattel and helped her roll the Olypmia completely over.

I had never seen someone drown. I had heard horror stories in the castle about a few kids drowning in a village over and how their lips first turned blue from the cold. I looked at Olympia's, but could not tell as the darkness was now fully upon us. The moon darted between clouds. "We need to get a fire going!" I shouted toward Sir Coulee, who heaved a cough once more before forcing himself up. He headed into the nearby woods. I turned toward the Princess.

"We need to keep her warm." Princess Seattle nodded at me and with as much haste that she could muster, she pulled the ties off her dress and yanked the fabric over her head. We settled the material around the girl and I felt her neck. A heartbeat fluttered underneath my fingertips. Princess Seattel wrapped her arms around herself, trying to contain the sobs. Her white nightgown was completely stained from the adventure we had taken through the woods. I pulled off my surcoat and handed it to my grace. She gratefully wore it over her sleeping clothes, fingers fumbling with the buttons.

Sir Coulee darted back faster than I expected. He placed the wood down and frantically began using flint and steel to hopefully make a spark catch on the dead grass he had gathered. Luckily, the fire was on our side and it took ahold of not only the grass, but the small twigs as well. We made eye contact. The Princess grasped Olympia's hand.

"Have you had experience with drownings?" I questioned the knight in front of me. Unfortunately, he shook his head. My shoulder dropped and I took a heavy breath. This did not bode well for Olympia. The warmth of the fire crackled and although her lips were not blue, they were quite pale.

"I have heard a story," the knight suddenly stated, "in a village close to the Gem's border. There was a young girl that fell through the ice in the winter. The physician used both hands and pushed on her chest multiple times and it forced the water out of her." I paused for a second, before hearing a sniffle come from the Princess next to me.

"Olympia! Not you too!" Her voice cracked and she shook the girl.

I motioned toward Olympia and the knight pulled off his gloves. He turned the girl onto her back and began using his weight to push down. It seemed strange, but I was willing to try anything.

Strange or not, it worked. It was only a few pushes from Sir Coulee and the farmer girl spit out water. A strangled gasp came from her before I rolled her over to her side again. More water than I believed was possible was ejected. But, there was breath. And then a few tears.

"Thank you Sir Coulee! Thank you."

-=--=-=--=- Guard of the Evergreen Princess -=--=-=--=-

The fire crackled warmly, casting shadows along the tree line. The thunder and lightning had stopped a few moments back. The two girls were settled as close to the flames as they dared and Sir Coulee and I checked every now and again that they were still breathing. Princess Seattel's dress laid over the two of them as a blanket.