CHAPTER TWO

The Princess entered the ballroom with as much grace as her layered gown would allow. The stunning red dress glimmered, sweeping along the floor behind her. An elegant halter neckline followed her shape downwards to the slightly puffed out skirt. There were diamonds tracing the neckline. A corset was tightened to perfection, outlining her back, with a bow tying it all together.

A hushed silence fell over the crowd of single men and a few others. The King stood to the left of his beautiful daughter and stared his powerful look across the room. I, of course, stood two feet behind Princess Seattel, and to the left.

An announcer cleared his throat. "King Yakima and his majestic daughter, Princess Seattel of the Evergreen Kingdom." The instrumentalists to the left of the crowd rolled into a grand music piece and conversation began to flow once more as the King escorted his daughter to their seats at the head table.

Princess Seattel shot me a desperate look as a man approached her. I slightly narrowed my eyes at Sir Oro as he bowed before the Princess and the King. "Princess Seattel, I would be most honored if I could have the first dance."

Before she could respond, King Yakima spoke to the eager nobleman. "Shall we enjoy the feast before asking for a dance?" The flutes from the musicians seemed to grow in sound.

Sir Oro bowed once again. "We shall, my King. I was merely wondering if the Princess had remembered my question from earlier this morning." King Yakima frowned at the nobleman in front of him. He took a small, dominating step forward.

"Are you suggesting my daughter cannot remember anything?"

I watched as Sir Oro began to tremble faintly. "N-No. Not at all my King!" And smartly, the nobleman receded. "Enjoy the feast, your majesties." He bowed again, proceeding backwards, and then headed quickly toward his own table.

Princess Seattel followed her father to their table once again. "Desperate," she whispered in my direction as she passed. I kept the smile off my face as I turned and followed her grace to her seat. The King made no motion that he had heard his precious daughter act so inappropriately. I stepped to the side and pulled the chair back for her grace to sit. Once settled down, the King waved his arm and servants came from the side doors, holding steaming pots of stew, plates of vegetables, and different kinds of meats. Pig roasts, chicken legs, even beef meatballs were placed on the tables in front of the guests.

My hand rested on the hilt of my sword as I stood a few steps behind Princess Seattel. Chatter began echoing the halls and laughter was blasted as a few too many drinks were drunk. The candles and lanterns flickered throughout the hall, decorated with flowers and fireflies in jars. The King leaned slightly in his daughter's direction.

"I am sorry Seattel, but Beaverland's Prince informed us this morning that he could not make this year's ball. He sends his best." The King took a chomp of his chicken leg and munched.

Princess Seattel frowned. "But Eugene loves these annual feasts." She poked at some raspberries on her plate. I know that the Princess was very saddened by this. Her and Prince Eugene are the same age and have met many times. One would say they are different sides on the same coin, yet neither has romantic feelings for each other. A mutual agreement was made between them and I was there to witness the pledge.

A good friendship is something that each person needs.

The King placed his hand on his daughter's shoulder, brushing her long hair behind her. The flowing long locks were loose tonight, with only a simple diamond head chain following her part down her head. A perfect diamond rests on her forehead. "His messenger relayed that the Prince had other arrangements prior to our invite." Princess Seattel nodded at her father.