3

Makoto went home that afternoon and immediately took off his hat. He wiggled his ears, letting them get fresh air again. He swished his tail out of hiding. It was stiff from not being able to move all day. He wasn't in the house for more than five minutes when his two little siblings came running up to him. They also had tortoiseshell cat ears and tails. They were bouncing all over him, "Onii-chan!"

He smiled back at them, "How was your day at school?"

Makoto always asked but before either of them answered this time, his little sister Ran exclaimed, "Onii-chan, you smell funny!"

Makoto looked at her, confused, he'd been around the smell all day so he'd gotten pretty used to it. He tried to decipher the smell, it was very distinct. It was different from the normal smells of just the other kids at school. The only thing he had done differently that day was when Sousuke had joined him for lunch. He hadn't noticed anything unusual at the time but of course he had been too flustered the whole time. He laughed it off, saying to his little siblings, "It's just the smell of a new friend."

But was Sousuke really? The whole thing wasn't bothering him exactly, it was just he couldn't get him off his mind. That whole encounter had been out of the ordinary. He'd spent 2 long years of high school admiring Sousuke from afar. They'd barely talked before and the only other time they had was when they were in a group discussion during class. Makoto wasn't even sure if that counted. Sousuke was in only one of Makoto's classes and he always sat directly in front of Makoto. Needless to say, Makoto could not focus for his life during that class.

Makoto left the company of his siblings and set his stuff down in his room. He wanted answers, he wanted to know why Sousuke was taking an interest in him. Makoto took out his cellphone. He was remembering what had happened at the end of lunch. The bell had just rung and they had to be going back to classes. Makoto was checking the time on his phone when Sousuke just took it out of his hands. Makoto had tried to get it back but Sousuke wouldn't let go. He sent himself a text before tossing the phone back to Makoto. Sousuke had stood up to leave and said over his shoulder, "Text me later Tachibana." Makoto had only looked at him stunned. And without saying anything else, Sousuke disappeared back inside the building.

Makoto laid back on his bed, looking at the message to Sousuke. Did he really expect him to contact him again? Makoto really wanted to, to find out what Sousuke wanted more than anything, but he was afraid that if he sent a message he'd look desperate. This way Sousuke had Makoto's number too. Makoto decided that if he really wanted to talk, Sousuke would have to message him himself. No sooner than Makoto had put his phone down on the nightstand when it buzzed. Makoto's ears perked up, his tail flicking restlessly in anticipation. Makoto looked at who the message was from. Sousuke.