Chapter Four

Trina's Residence
1 P.M.

The sound of three knocks echoed through Trina's family home. She limped to the door, answering it without much thought.

"Hi," she blinked as Spencer greeted her. She shook her head as the visit caught her off-guard.

"Hi," she repeated after him. "I know it's random, but I couldn't get my mind off of you yesterday." He held up two grocery bags with a small smile. "I bought you some snacks and treats."

Trina smiled softly as she widened the door. "Come in. Shoes off." He obliged and sat the bags down on the coffee table in the living room. "how's the ankle?" She shrugs. "Painful, but I'm managing." He nodded before sitting, keeping a distance between them.

The silence thickened the air as so many things needed to be said, but both party could not find the words to correctly express it.

"Trina, I'm sorry." She turned to him with raised brows. "huh?" He came a bit closer. "I miss you. I miss us." He continued. "What was us, Spencer?" he bit his lip as he could tell she was about to grill him again about their feelings for one another. "the way we were.."

Trina shook her head and turned away. "you, and I both know that was toxic. Do you realize that we almost became homewreckers on multiple occasions?" He frowned a bit, and silence fell upon them again.

"Let's start over." He stated.

Trina chuckled at him. "Start over?" She shook her head. "how can we-" Spencer interrupted. "Hi, I'm Spencer Cassedine. I'm not new to Port Charles; I'm returning as a high school honors graduate."

Trina's eyebrows twitched before she chuckled. "Wow." She mumbled, then turned her body to him. "nice to meet you, Spencer. Do you have a girlfriend?"

The smile that grew on his face dropped. "I-I do." He stuttered softly, then cleared his throat. "What about you? Anyone, you're interested in?" Trina locked her eyes with his as she answered. "Yeah, there is." She noticed the way he came closer. "Spencer, no." She turned away and ran her hand through her hair, gripping it tightly.

"That was cute," She sarcastically stated, making him exhale. "What else can I do?" She shrugged. "I don't know, maybe break up with Esme."

Once again, silence covered them.

"I don't understand, Spencer." She began to vent, clearly agitated. "I like you; you know this. I'm positive you're feelings are the same, yet you stay with her!"

"I'm all she has, Trina!" Trina flinches back at the volume increase in his tone. He covered his mouth, regretting the volume of his tone. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I just-I'm all she has."

Trina nodded with her lips folded. "Trina-" "Get out." She pointed to the door. "No.." He refused.

"No?" Trina asked, "It wasn't a question, Spencer." He remained seated. "Trina, please stop pushing me away." "I have to!" She retaliated instantly. "Spencer, it hurts. I want you and can't have you." Her voice cracked, making Spencer melt in guilt.

"Trina, I'm sorry." She sighed and sat back. "you're selfish." She spat at him, and he nodded. "I am..." He looked up at her "Very selfish, only with you, though."

An involuntary tear slipped down her cheek. "no, no, don't do that, please." He wiped the tear, and she leaned into his hand.

"Spencer," She whispered; he hushed her as he leaned into her. "just let me do this." She looked up at him; she wanted to reciprocate but won't. "No. I'm not going to give you the best of both worlds." Trina pushed back and looked away. "you promised to leave me alone after we ended our friendship."

Spencer blinked rapidly. "I know, but -" "No buts, Spencer. Can you leave? Please." Her voice was soft as she requested his dismissal. He nodded and stood up; his feet came into Trina's sight as he approached her. "I am truly sorry." He whispered. He turned her face to him and planted a soft kiss on her forehead. "Take care."

Watching him walk away was much more difficult than she anticipated. "It was for the best." She encouraged her decision in her thoughts.