Chapter 20: Back to Base

Megatron's POV:

I went to the nearest computer to contact the Autobot base. I knew Soundwave might have been listening. So, I had to choose my words carefully.

Ratchet:{Who is this?}

I grinned at the medic's voice. He sounded as grumpy as ever. "This is Megatron." I answered.

Ratchet:{Megatron?! Are you alright?}

I froze. Were they really that worried about me? "I... I was hoping we could meet up at base?" I spoke. "So we can... catch up?" I swiftly looked behind me, afraid that Soundwave was right there. He wasn't, so I turned back to the screen. "If that's okay with you guys."

Ratchet:{Of course!}

Optimus:{You are always welcome to our base, Megatron.}

I smiled upon hearing the Prime's voice again. "I'll send you my location when I get to land." I promised.

Optimus:{We hope to see you soon.}

Bumblebee:{See ya soon, Buddy!}

And with that, the call ended. I stood there for a moment, before turning to face the door. I wondered if Soundwave was waiting there. Was he listening? And if so, would he try to stop me? I'm sure he knew me better than anyone. I sighed as I walked through, surprised to see that no one was there. I walked through the hallways, and almost bumped into Knockout as I was turning the corner.

"Gah!!!" He leaped back. "M-Megatron!" We both tensed. "I... I'm so sorry!" He panicked.

"It's quite alright, Knockout." I reassured him. "I did not see you as I turned the corner." He gave a short, nervous laugh.

"Where... Where were you heading off to anyway?" I knew he was only trying to start a conversation. Though, I knew that Soundwave was most likely nearby. "I'm going to take flight." I lied. "I feel I've been on foot for too long." Knockout gave a weird expression.

"Oh." He spoke. "Well... I... I guess I'll see you later?" He asked. I nodded in response.

"Later." I repeated, before taking my leave.

(At the Autobot Base) - No One's POV:

"I've received his signal." Ratchet announced. "Sending a ground bridge."

Everyone stared at the ground bridge, waiting for their friend. After a click or two, Megatron came through from the other side. Optimus immediately noticed how nervous the silver mech was. Megatron looked back to see the ground bridge close behind him. It was silent for a moment, that was until Miko looked up from her spot. "Megs!" She cheered, rushing towards him for a hug. Megatron kneeled down and offered his servo for her to hug. "I missed you, big guy!" Megatron chuckled at his charge.

"It's good to see you too." He replied.

"Huh..." Wheeljack spoke, a little surprise by the Warlord's behavior.

"Who is this?" Megatron asked.

"This is Wheeljack!" Bulkhead greeted. "My best buddy since back on Cybertron!" Bulkhead turned to Wheeljack. "Jackie, this is--"

"--Megatron." He growled. "Yeah, I heard of em..." Megatron tensed.

"Megatron." Optimus spoke. "Would you mind telling us what is bothering you?" He asked. Megatron nodded, not at all surprised that Optimus was aware. He lifted himself to his pedes.

"So... I didn't just come to here to... Catch up." He explained. "I... I wanted to warn you about Soundwave." Everyone froze upon hearing the name.

"Then why didn't you say anything about him?" Arcee asked.

"I know Soundwave well enough to know that he listens and hears everything." Megatron explained. "I didn't want him to know I was coming here to... Discuss his suspicious behavior." Optimus raised a ridge. "He was asking such strange questions... Very specific questions."

"Like...?" Wheeljack asked.

"Well... At first he asked about you." Megatron pointed to the Prime. "He asked how much you knew about... How much information I gave you when I first went online." Optimus hummed in thought. "Then he asked if you knew about the plan--"

"--What plan?" Bulkhead asked. Megatron froze, unsure if he should tell them.

"The plan...," He paused, looking to Bumblebee. "The plan that... destroyed Cybertron." Everyone went silent. All Megatron could do what stare at his pedes; holding onto his arm in shame. "U-Uhm... I told him that I didn't know what he was talking about..." He confessed. "Then he asked if I at least remembered what we planned to win a war... If we were to go into one..."

"You were expecting a war?" Jack asked.

"Soundwave... Expected a war..." Megatron corrected. "He only gave me the plans to win one."

"He wanted you to fight along side him." Ratchet stated.

"He asked if I would be willing to go through with the plan to end the war..." Everyone looked to him. "I said no..." He confessed. "But... Now he's going to try and end it himself... I know he is." Megatron looked to Optimus. "I... I wanted to warn you." Optimus nodded to show he understood.

"Megatron..." Someone whispered to themselves. Megatron looked to where the voice came from. A young mech stuck his helm out to see the Warlord.

"Who is that?" He asked, pointing to the young mech. Everyone looked to where he was pointing.

"Smokescreen." Ratchet spoke. "What are you doing up? You still need to charge."  He sighed. Smokescreen wasn't even listening; staring at the scary, silver gladiator in front of him.

"What is Megatron doing here?!" He panicked.

"Calm down, Kid." Wheeljack warned. Megatron took a few steps back, not quite expecting the cannon in his face.

"I won't let you hurt anyone else!" He shouted. Optimus jumped in between the two to shield Megatron.

"Enough!" He ordered. "Smokescreen. Stand down..." Smokescreen stared in awe of the Prime. Someone he never thought he'd meet in person. He hesitantly lowered his cannon, still wary of Megatron. Miko held onto Megatron's ped; afraid she'd get stepped on. Megatron carefully took hold of her and gently placed her with the other two children. Smokescreen was soon escorted into the other room.

"I... suppose I should take my leave." He announced.

"Aw... But you just got here..." Miko whined.

"Well... Someone doesn't seem very fond of me being here." Megatron stated. "Plus, I can't be gone for too long. I need to get back to the ship before the others get suspicious." Miko pouted.

"Before you go back," Optimus walked towards the giant desk and turned to Megatron with a familiar device. "Take this with you." Megatron grabbed the screen pad from the Prime's servo. He looked up to see Optimus smiling at him.

"Thank you." Optimus nodded in response. 

"Feel free to visit whenever you can." Optimus suggested. "You were dearly missed." Megatron doubted the last sentence.

"I'll try..." Megatron replied. Bumblebee sped up to Megatron, staring at him for a moment, before pulling the gladiator into a hug.

"I'm gonna miss you." He beeped. Megatron hesitantly wrapped his around the scout's frame. Megatron heard the ground bridge reopen, pulling away from Bumblebee.

"Take care, BeeBee." Megatron asked. "All of you." He turned to face everyone in the room, before turning to the ground bridge and walking out.