"Qiao'er..."

Bam!

Zhao Lan was both angered and panicked as her daughter pushed her out of the room but Shen Qiao refused to listen to her. The moment she was out of her room, Shen Qiao slammed the door shut.

"Qiao'er. Qiao'er..." deathly afraid she would do something foolish, Zhao Lan pounded against the door several times. 

The sound of pottery and items being thrown in the room greeted her as her daughter's roar sounded: "Scram! You all scram for me! I don't want to see any of you! Go away..."

"Qiao'er..." Zhao Lan stood in a trance outside the room. Her daughter now was like a stranger to her. Was she truly that in love with the Duke of Qingping?

"Second madame..." the maid all looked at her with concern. 

Zhao Lan returned to her senses and waved her hands, "The Young Lady's condition isn't stable. Be more vigilant during the night and let me know immediately if anything happens."

"Yes," none of Shen Qiao's maids dared to speak out of turn and agreed one after another. Zhao Lan gave the closely shut doors one last glance before taking her maids along with her and leaving.

"What is wrong with Qiao'er? A dignified boudoir daughter and simply no manners at all. Not only was she the first to yell at her cousin but she actually dared to raise her hands against him as well. If word of this were to get out, how does she still expect to marry into a good family in the future?" Before Zhao Lan could even step into her room, Shen Ruiqing's chastise sounded in her ear. 

Unprecedented exhaustion swarmed over her. Zhao Lan found a seat to sit in the moment she walked in: "Who am I supposed to go ask if you ask me? She's not just my daughter. Where were you before that you now know to be concerned? Besides caving in the fox vixen's place all day long, what else do you know how to do?"

Zhao Lan's mood was also at an all-time low due to her daughter's outburst. From the three families of the Marquis Donglin Manor, the third family's Shen Ruijiang had neither a son nor concubines. They only had one eldest daughter. As for the main family, they had three sons and one daughter, all of whom were of legitimate birth. The second family also have three sons and one daughter, but their eldest son was born from a concubine. This was also why Shen Liang was called fifth eldest brother. As for the rest, there was no need to even mention how many illegitimate children and concubines there were in total.

"You, you're simply unreasonable. Crazy woman!" Shen Ruiqing was immediately infuriated and with the wave of his arms, was prepared to leave.

When Zhao Lan saw this, fury swarmed over her as well: "Where do you think you're going? To find that fox vixen again? Shen Ruiqing, your eldest main daughter was bullied by others to this degree, and you still have the mood to drink and play around?"

"If she was bullied, that's because she deserved it. If she didn't provoke others first, who would bully her? This is the good daughter you taught and raise!" Shen Ruiqing was also blinded by his anger. Although he usually doted on Shen Qiao as well, in that moment, anger made him more outspoken than usual.

"You... Very good, Shen Ruiqing! Lao niang had it enough with you..." *Lao niang is a way of addressing oneself that is domineering and arrogant.*

"Stop, Zhao Lan! You crazy woman... Stop..." the moment the couple found themselves unable to compromise, they immediately started raising their hands against each other. The maid who was waiting outside could no longer consider whether they would be punished for their impudence or not as they rushed in to pull the couple apart. 

Zhao Lan was a woman after all. After being slapped twice across the cheeks, her face was slightly flustered, and her hair was ruined and tangled. She truly did look like a crazy woman.