Chapter 16

Leon completely stiffened.

"Kidding." She laughed. "I know very well that you have no reason to be jealous."

'After all, you don't love me.'

"Though it was rather a nice experience visiting that jeweler's shop. The owner was a fairly old gentleman, his lovely wife helped me a lot with picking the jewelries I needed." Cordelia enthusiastically said.

In that very moment, a sudden breeze of realization brushed passed Leon, dawning upon him.

"Is that so..."

"Ah, that reminds me. Actually... I bought you a brooch, but I am not sure whether it is to your liking..."

"Where is it?"

"Ah." Cordelia looked at him. Her surprise was written all over her face, seeming so bright and evidently seen.

"It's... I left it in my room." She replied, feeling a bit on edge. Her voice sounded glum because somehow, the burdening feeling she felt earlier was still present. She still hadn't moved on from Leon pushing her away earlier, nor had she forgotten the hurtful words he said.

"I shall tell my maid to fetch it for you later." Said Cordelia.

Leon's brows rose without him even realizing. 'Why not give it to me yourself?' Was what came to his mind.

"Ah—" Cordelia tightened her hold on the tray as she took a gentle step back. "Right... I shall continue to take my leave. Pardon my interruption, please continue your work."

She carefully turned around with her hands full. But before she could take a single step, Leon had successfully made her halt, yet again.

"You may leave the tray on the table over there." He said. His voice was no longer intimidating nor cold as earlier, but rather quieter. Though it was loud enough for her to hear.

"Oh..." Cordelia's brows rose in surprise as she turned around, only to be met with a pair of sharp green eyes, staring straight into her. 'Did he have a change of mind?' She couldn't help but wonder.

The sound of Cordelia's gentle treads as she took steps to the table, was what filled Leon's ears.

"Then, I shall leave it here." She muttered softly.

"Do enjoy your meal." Cordelia smiled at him, about to turn around. But before she had any chance to do so, a big hand, calloused yet warm, gently held her wrist. Leon held her back from walking away.

"Yes..?" Cordelia asked, surprised by his sudden action. She was not expecting him to grab her by the hand at all.

"My bandage has not been changed yet."

"Ah... shall I call Cedric? He must be with the physician—"

"The physician will not arrive until later in the afternoon."

"...If that's the case, then I'll call a servant to have your bandage changed then—"

"No." The grip on her hand tightened.

"All of the servants are occupied at the moment." He said.

Cordelia could only blink in confusion at what he said "What..?"

"But... the servants I met on my way here are free."

"Ugh..." A pained groan erupted from his lips. "It stings."

Concern washed over her face. "Does it?"

"The physician had told me specifically to change the bandage every morning and evening, or else the poison would spread."