Chp-5

Author's Pov

"Why? Why Freya? I wasn't expecting you to let go the man you waited for ten years in just a few days!" Ajax retorted in anger staring at the girl who was sitting on the edge of the bed keeping her eyes downcast.

The moment Freya expressed her wanting to end the engagement Ajax was left beyond enraged, he still was a bit hopeful that Freya wouldn't end this engagement that's why he gave her the full right to either accept or end it. He wanted her to be selfish for atleast once and make Leonard marry her but all of his thoughts broke down the moment she returned the ring and retreat to her room.

Ajax after a few hours came to her, he wanted to know what had forced her to take this decision. He wished for her to tell him that she didn't break the engagement willingly instead she wanted to marry Leonard but because of something she was being forced to step back yet all of his delusional got a hit when she replied.

"Because I thought it was the best thing to do, uncle." She gazed at her bare feet with nothing but sadness.

"Best thing? You waited a decade for that man and now you will let another woman have him without any fight!" This words earned a small chuckle from the meek girl, she slowly raised her eyes looking at her confused uncle.

"Fight? For whom Uncle? For the man who didn't even recognize me when he saw me? Fight for the man who can't even look at me properly? No, I am sorry but I am not that strong to endure such hate and ignorance for the rest of my life." Ajax knew somewhere she was right yet he didn't want to give up this easily.

"Freya, don't you love him anymore?" A small smile curled over her lips as she slowly nodded her head making him sigh in relief.

"I do," She paused for a moment before sighing out.

"That's why I ended this engagement. " Ajax stared at her with a scowl, if she did love him so much then why would she let him go?

"Someone once told me, love should never be selfish, if you love someone and their happiness is not with you then you should," she gulped feeling tears briming her eyes.

"Let them go." She steadily dropped her eyes down letting a sole tear escaped her eyes.

"His happiness is not with me anymore, uncle and I don't have a heart to be selfish that's why I let him go. If he's ---" She once again paused feeling her throat tightening as a sob clutched her ability to speak.

"H-Happy with her then I am w-willing to see him with her, instead of enduring his s-sadness with m-me." Her voice cracked as she with utmost difficulty completed the words.

Ajax on the other hand stayed rooted on the spot in silence, the love she had for his son he never knew was this pure and unconditional. The way she sacrificed her happiness and desires for his son's pleasure left him speechless, he gritted his teeth sighing at the foolish decision Leo was taking.

Ajax was well aware of his son's obstinacy with the fact that he will never be forced to do something, Leonard was always an aggressive and optimistic man, he never appreciated his parents imposing something on him but in his childhood he was still a lot better than what he had became now. He had turned way more crueler, ruthless and terrible than he ever was, he had left not a single drop of compassion in him. The insensitive words he used for Freya was an open indication for Ajax that if this engagement was indeed turned into a marriage Freya would have to go through a lot.

Staring at the depressed girl for a few minutes he exited her room as usual showing no effort to comfort her, Freya was also not expecting anything from him she was already used to this kind of treatment from him but she at least was thankful that he didn't try to argue further and accepted her decision.