Olive

As the sun began to rise over a small coastal town in North Carolina, the sky was painted with orange, pink, red, and purple hues

           As the sun began to rise over a small coastal town in North Carolina, the sky was painted with orange, pink, red, and purple hues. Maye Hudges rolled down her car window, letting the sea breeze blow her dark brown hair across her face. Her eyes, as blue as the sea, shone in the light that passed through her sunglasses.

It had been almost a month since Maye's grandmother had passed away. After weeks of waiting, the lawyer finally contacted her to discuss the will's contents. Maye was surprised that it took him so long to get in touch with her, but she was relieved to finally hear from him. Unlike most people, Maye wasn't interested in inheriting any of her grandmother's valuable possessions. All she wanted was the old photographs of her and her grandmother together.

As she arrived at Nearpoint, she couldn't help but notice that the town looked the same as it did when she was a child. The air was filled with the salty scent of the sea, and seagulls flew above, searching for food. As she turned into the parking lot, she noticed that the signs on the shops were faded, and some were even missing letters. 

The lawyer's office was situated between a grocery store and a barbershop. She parked the car where she could see the door and noticed a small sign above it that read "Harold & Sons."

Maye scanned the parking lot, hoping to spot relatives heading toward the office. But the area in front of the entrance was nearly deserted, with only a handful of cars and an orange tabby cat lounging on the hood of a black SUV, basking in the sun.

Maye reached up with both hands and pulled her hair into a ponytail. After getting out of the car, she straightened her skirt and slowly approached the single glass door adorned with divorce signs. As she walked through the door, she stopped momentarily to allow her eyes to adjust. The lighting in the front office was dim compared to the blazing sun outside.

A wooden desk was positioned neatly in the center of the room, surrounded by plants. In the background, music from the Beatles played softly, and an older woman with large-framed glasses and even larger hair sat behind the desk, painting her nails.

Without looking at Maye, the woman asked, "How may I assist you?"