Chapter 60

ROWAN BASS

My eyes snap open as my 9:00 alarm sounds in Harry's bedroom, and I wince when I turn my head to see him stirring from the noise. I reach over him to snatch my phone and turn it off, trying not to laugh as he squints at me in confusion.

"What's happening?" His voice sounds scratchy and hoarse.

"Sorry," I whisper, laughing as he drops his head back on the pillow with his brows pulled together in a frown.

The reason I set an alarm was so that I could make his family breakfast this morning, but I already know I'm going to be at least a little delayed when he reaches his arm out and scoops me closer to him. His eyes are still closed when he brushes the tip of his nose over mine and tilts his head to give me a blind kiss.

"Sleep okay?" He murmurs.

"Mhm," I snuggle into his chest and push his hair back from his forehead. It's getting long, but I think I like it at this length. "I need to go make breakfast for your family."

His frown deepens and his eyes remain shut. "That's my mum's job."

"I just wanna do something nice since I was totally dead yesterday," I press my lips to his cheek. "You stay asleep, and I'll come to get you when it's ready."

He gives me a small nod, but just as I try to sit up, he suddenly brings me back down for another kiss, which turned into two more. "Love you."

"Love you," I smush a fourth kiss to his lips and get myself out of bed to secure my hair up in a clip and brush my teeth. After quickly completing my morning routine, I sneak downstairs to see the kitchen is still empty.

Harry and I went to the store yesterday so I could get ingredients for breakfast this morning, and for me to make a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for them while we're here for the next week. It's amazing how different it feels to be here compared to the last time we came together, all for the better. I knew he was the only thing missing when I woke up alone in his childhood bed the first time.

Trying to move about quietly, I only just start whisking the eggs when I hear footsteps creaking on the hardwood floor, and Anne appears in the kitchen. She's fully dressed for the day in a cozy jumper with wide-leg trousers, and it honestly looks like an outfit my own mom would wear.

"What on earth are you doing?" She puts her hands on her hips.

I give her a guilty smile. "I wanted to make breakfast for everyone. Y'know, full American style."

She's smiling even though she scoffs and drops her arms back down to her sides. "Well, can I help you at least?"

"Nope, you just sit down and I'll put the coffee on," I scurry over to pull out a chair for her at the kitchen table, which at least makes her laugh as she reluctantly takes a seat.

"I really can't tell you how happy I am for how things have worked out for you and H," she starts, "I really wanted to talk to you about it yesterday, but I know you must have been jet lagged and everything."

"Oh," I smile as I falter on whisking the eggs again. "Trust me, I feel the exact same way. He makes me beyond happy, and I even told my mom over Christmas that I've never been so happy before when she told me she could tell that I was different."

"It was so hard not to tell you that he was completely in love with you when you came to visit us last Christmas," she thanks me for the mug of coffee and cream I give to her. "He was absolutely gone for you."

Not that I don't believe Harry when he tells me he loves me, but hearing that come from his own mom makes me want to fall to the ground in relief.

"It's funny because there were a lot of times that I thought for sure he had to feel something for me, but when he would give me dating advice or see other women, I just thought that meant he didn't look at me like anything more than just a friend. And we had kissed before I met or started dating Carson, and he pulled away first and agreed that we had just been drinking and it didn't mean anything."