Chapter 29

ROWAN BASS

"So what are your plans tonight?"

I let myself smile in Carson's physical absence, relieved that he's not here to see me blush. "Are you trying to ask me on another impromptu date?"

He laughs on the other line, which only makes my smile grow. "Of course not. I'm just curious is all. Unless you'd like to go on another impromptu date. I'm all for it."

My smile softens as I step into my boots. "I would love to, but it's my best friend's birthday today, so he's having a thing tonight with our friends after he gets out of work. It's, um...it's my neighbor, the one you met when you brought me home from our first date."

"Oh, that's nice. I'm sure that'll be fun."

"Mhm," I linger there where I'm sitting on the edge of my bed. "But what about lunch? I could bring something and meet you at your office?"

"That would be amazing," he says. "I usually take my break at around 1:00."

"Perfect! Craving anything in particular?"

"I trust you to choose," he chuckles. "I'm not picky."

"Okay, well...I guess I'll see you at 1:00 then."

"Can't wait. See you then."

"K, bye," I hang up and make an embarrassing squeaking sound of excitement that no one but Scout hears.

We've had three dates since the first one, and each was better than the last. Talking, whether on the phone, over text, or in person, never gets boring. Somehow, we always find something to talk about, and he seems like he's too good to be true. He's so mature, and responsible, but he knows how to laugh and he certainly knows how to flirt. Every two seconds, he's making me blush.

But it's because he's too good to be true that I have yet to tell anyone about him. Not my family, and not Harry. I guess Harry sort of suspects, considering he saw us coming back from the first date, but I feel as though I need to be careful how I go about telling him that I like Carson.

Despite the way I ambushed him in his apartment and asked him if we can stop being so weird, we haven't really stopped being that weird around each other. I still see him at least three times a week, but I think we're both struggling to get back to how things were before the kiss that seemingly ruined everything.

What he doesn't know, is that I only decided to really give it a go with Carson after that conversation. I gave him his chance to tell me whether or not the kiss was more than a drunken moment we both got caught up in, and he confirmed to me that that's exactly what it was. So, what else can I do but move on? It's nothing worth losing my best friend over.

"Alright Scout, you've had your breakfast, your playtime, your bathroom time, now please do not eat my things or pee on my carpet. I'll be back at around 3:00. Got it?"

He merely lets me kiss him on his head before I turn to leave, and my first order of business is to stop by Party City to get everything I need to decorate Harry's apartment for his birthday while he's at work. So, finally, the spare key he gave me is going to come in handy.

I buy two packs of 50 rainbow-colored balloons with a pump so I don't pass out trying to blow them on with my own oxygen, paper hats, a sign for his door, and a banner to hang somewhere inside. It's all incredibly cliche and childish, but I can already imagine him laughing about it, and that's what I'm doing it for.

With the decorations in my back seat, I drive to Chéri and park my car just to walk down the sidewalk to Gucci. Harry's wallet is falling apart at the seams, so I figure it'll be nice for him to have one made of stronger Italian leather. That way, he won't have to keep being so careful when he takes it out of his back pocket.