viii. start over - nicholas

thank you skatingfs_crxs5al for requesting!

☆

member : nicholas
genre : au, enemies to lovers(ish)

          "EVEN IF YOU stare at him all day, nothing is going to happen." Your best friend Ej pointed out as he noticed your stare on a particular brown haired boy.

"I'm not staring," You gritted. "I'm glaring. There's a difference."

"Is there?" Ej now had a smile forming on his face. 

"Yes. Staring makes it sound like I like him, which I don't." You stated.

"Really? I hadn't noticed." Ej grinned only making you roll your eyes. "I don't entirely understand what your problem with him is, though."

"It's not me who has a problem, it's him! He's always annoying me, it's like he goes out of his way to make my life absolutely miserable!" You complained.

"What if he doesn't mean to? Annoy you, I mean."

"Trust me, there's no way it couldn't be on purpose." You huffed. "He's a sweetheart to everyone except me- why must I be treated differently?!" 

"Did you do anything to him?"

"No! Well not until after he started annoying me. He started being annoying all on his own." You were getting more and more agitated as the thought of him clouded your mind. "I don't really want to think about him anymore."

"Well you were staring- sorry, glaring at him first." Ej spoke up causing you to groan. 

Sure, Nicholas was an absolute dimwit and you hated him, but you would be lying if you said he wasn't eye-catching. 

"Whatever," You rolled your eyes. "When can I come over today?" 

          "𝗡𝗢 𝗢𝗙𝗙𝗘𝗡𝗦𝗘 𝗕𝗨𝗧 could your neighbor actually shut up?" You groaned as you heard the sound of a basketball loudly bounce outside Ej's window.

"I don't know, that family just moved in a few days ago. I haven't spoken to them yet." Ej murmured as he closely looked at his homework. 

"It's driving me insane." You sighed as you tried to concentrate on your history book again, the loud dribbling only agitating you more and more. "I actually can't focus." 

"Me neither, really." Ej admitted with a pout. 

"I'll be back," You said before making your way outside towards his loud neighbor. "May you please practice somewhere else by any-" You stopped as you quickly realized who his neighbor was. "Nevermind-"

"Am I bothering you?" Nicholas smirked as he stopped dribbling. "I wasn't aware I lived next door to you." 

"You don't, thank god." You crossed your arms. "I'm just here visiting Ej." 

He hummed in response before shooting, the ball swiftly falling through the hoop with ease. "Unfortunate. Was hoping we could be neighbors."

"So what? You could annoy me even more? I don't think so." You scoffed. 

"You love me." 

"No, I don't. I hate you." You rolled your eyes, his dribbling coming to a stop. 

"Do you really?" He looked up at you with an almost saddening gaze. Almost.

"Why do you care? You obviously don't like me, why should I like you?" You crossed your arms. "I'm not exactly going to like you by the way you've been treating me."

"Right." 

"Anyways- may you please go practice somewhere else? Or at least more quietly? We can't focus at all." 

"Yeah. Sure. Sorry."

You raised an eyebrow in confusion. He wasn't the type to usually listen to you, let alone apologize. "Okay, thanks." You spun on your heel and headed back inside to Ej, shaking off your feeling of confusion. "Ej! You could've told me your neighbor was him!" You whined as you flopped back onto his bed

His eyes widened. "Was it actually? Him, I mean." 

"Yes!" You groaned loudly. "It was so awkward!" You huffed out before checking your watch. "Great, I've gotta be home in five. At least you'll have silence for the rest of your studying." 

"Thank you for that." Ej chuckled before helping you pack up. "See you tomorrow?" 

"Of course, love you!" 

          𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗟𝗘𝗧 𝗢𝗨𝗧 a long sigh of relief as you finally fell into your bed, all the stress of the day finally easing as you savored the comfort of your blanket. 

Ding!

"What does Ej want now?" You lazily grabbed your phone at the sound of your ringtone, your eyes widening as you read the notification. 

nicholas.yixiang has requested to message you
-- instagram

You hesitantly accepted his request as you waited patiently for his message, your nerves only freaking you out more and more as you watched his chat bubble appear and disappear. 

nicholas.yixiang
i'm sorry.

your.user
you already said that
plus you stopped so its fine

nicholas.yixiang
no not for today
for everything

your.user
oh

nicholas.yixiang
hearing what you said today,
i don't want you to hate me.
i'm sorry for being so rude to you

your.user
it's fine i guess
i don't actually hate you really
you do inconvenience me quite a lot tho

nicholas.yixiang
i'm sorry for that.

your.user
it's okay
thanks for apologizing

nicholas.yixiang
can we start over?
maybe be friends?

- march 31st, 2023