iii. disregarded - maki

happy monday from luka!

☆

member : maki
genre : romance, angst

⚠️ includes bullying ⚠️

          YOUR HANDS SHOOK violently as you scanned your reflection in the mirror, a wave of distaste overcoming you as you peered closer. You greatly disliked the person who stared back. Tears threatened to spill out of your eyes as you looked away from your image, an overcoming urge to smash the mirror to pieces lingering in your mind. But you didn't. It wouldn't make the difference you were searching for. You straightened your posture and brushed the tears that had stained your face away, clearing your throat once before finally stepping out of the bathroom- the bustling roaring sound of students racing to class and chatting filling your ears once again. Your head spun as you sifted your way throughout the blaring crowds of classmates, your breath hitching in your throat as you felt as if thousands of pairs of eyes focused on your disorganized self. 

"Watch where you're going." A boy scoffed as he bumped harshly into you, your brows furrowing as you muttered a quick apology. 

You were used to the frequent mistreatment and disregardment from your peers, many of them purposely bumping into you on your way through the school. You had learned just to apologize even if it wasn't your fault. "I'm sorry." You apologized as another shoved you harshly sending you stumbling a few steps back. 

If not even you wanted to see yourself, why did everyone else have to?

You let out a yelp as you came crashing into another student, multiple apologies spilling out of your mouth as you found yourself and the other on the floor. "I'm so sorry I-"

"No I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going!" 

You froze as you took in the unfamiliar words. Sure you had said them a thousand times, but they had never been said to you.

He quickly stood up and brushed himself off, outstretching his hand towards you as an offer to help you up. "I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" 

You reluctantly took his hand and scrambled back onto your feet, your mind still whirling with confusion. "I'm...I'm fine. How about you?" 

He let out a small laugh making a smile grace his face. "I've run into you making you fall over, and yet you still ask if I'm okay?"

"I'm sorry." You apologized in fear that the boy was upset. 

"No! Don't be sorry! You're too kind." He put his hands up in protest. "I'm really sorry about running into you. I'm Riki- I hope you can forgive me."

You opened your mouth to assure him it was fine when a student made sure to bump you harshly, sending you once again stumbling a few steps back. 

Riki noticed your unbalance and steadied you by grabbing your shoulders, instantly turning to the student and calling out to them. "You aren't going to say sorry? You clearly did that on purpose." 

"It's fine, Riki. Just let them go." You quietly said to him. 

"It's not. They bumped into you." He whispered as he looked down at you, his hands still placed on your shoulders in worry. "Say sorry." He turned back to the student.

"Sorry." The student sarcastically mocked, rolling their eyes as they walked off making Riki's frown grow even more. 

"Why is everyone so rude here?" He muttered under his breath as he noticed your unfazed state only making him feel even worse. "Are you okay?"

You nodded in response as you still weren't entirely used to the kindness of someone your age. "Thank you again Riki." You started to slowly walk away as the nerves settled in making you want to stray away from the public as soon as possible. 

"Wait!" He grabbed your hand as you turned making you stop in your tracks. "May I at least get your name?" 

"Why would you need it?" You genuinely asked as you cocked your head to the side, your eyes peering down at your interlocked hands. 

His cheeks flushed red as he followed your gaze, his grip loosening lightly yet not releasing. "I wanted to... maybe get to know you more?"

- january 23rd, 2023

𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗺 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆 𝗶𝗺 𝗵𝗮𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗮 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗯𝗹𝗼𝗰𝗸 𝗿𝗻